Follow these instructions to switch from TurboTax Online to TurboTax CD/Download.
You can transfer your tax data file (with a filename extension .tax[year], such as .tax2018) only if you're switching a prior year return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without PLUS, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)
- You can't transfer your current year return
- You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2018
- Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring. Follow these instructions
Note: Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.
Here's how to transfer:
You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).
- Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or open or continue a return you already started
- After the screen has loaded, select the Tax Tools drop-down menu in the left column, and then select Tools
- In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link (If you don’t see this option, you may need to clear and start over)
Follow the instructions to finish transferring your file. Once you're done, follow these instructions to return your CD/Download copy of TurboTax.
Check out our various TurboTax Online products here. You can compare and find which version is right for your tax situation.