turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not receive the correct amount for my second stimulus. It was less than it should have been. How can I correct this with TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

I did not receive the correct amount for my second stimulus. It was less than it should have been. How can I correct this with TurboTax?

If you did not receive your first and/or second stimulus payment or if the amount received is not correct, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm following the directions you posted but what comes up after choosing "Federal Review" is a page stating that we have a W-2c coming because we deferred Social Security taxes last year, which we didn't. 

If I continue on past that page I get the "Let's check your federal return to make sure its good to go."  Then it goes on to check the return and tells me it's in great shape.  Nothing about the stimulus.  

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

Are you able to access your stimulus check choices in TurboTax Online by following these steps?

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

If you have not received one or more of your stimulus checks, you will receive your payment in the form of a Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30 of your 2020 Federal tax return when you file.

TurboTax will compare your one or two stimulus payment amounts to the computations within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that you have entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

In TurboTax Online, you may also be prompted to input stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2 information under Review down the left hand side of the screen.

See also this TurboTax Help.

The screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount never comes up.  I get all the way to File and it doesn't ask me anything about Stimulus.  

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Try using the "Search" box in the upper right of your screen.  Type in stimulus and hit return/enter.  Then click on the "Jump to..." link at the top of the results. 

This should take you to the stimulus interview.  There you will be able to input what amounts if any stimulus payments you have already received.

Your tax return will update to include any missing amounts from your eligibility amount which is based on your 2020 tax return information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies