Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I cant file my federal tax return because it keeps mentioning "Cant file due to disaster tax relief laws passed by Congress". Any idea why?

I checked that I received disaster distributions because it mentioned if you got anything for Covid. And I assumed that the stimulus checks fell underneath that so I said yes. Just want to make sure that was the right thing to do.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

I cant file my federal tax return because it keeps mentioning "Cant file due to disaster tax relief laws passed by Congress". Any idea why?

No, the stimulus checks do not qualify for the disaster relief question. 

Please return to the Personal Info and edit your information. Review the interview.

The question is asked there and you can correct it to say "no".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

70 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No, the stimulus checks do not qualify for the disaster relief question. 

Please return to the Personal Info and edit your information. Review the interview.

The question is asked there and you can correct it to say "no".

chbryce

But on the questions about disaster relief, it specifically says that COVID-19 stimulus checks fall under the disaster relief. 

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Click on Wrap up income under Income & Expenses section to reach this screen and select No if you did not withdraw from a retirement account:

@chbryce

So my wife did withdraw from her retirement because she switched jobs from a private school to a public school. So she has to withdraw from it. But we put in all that information for the 1099R. We also put it how much we got from stimulus and all that. Just need to know if we check yes or no on that section of disaster relief.

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

If you received Form 1099-R for your wife's 2021 withdrawal, enter the 1099-R on your return. If you did not withdraw any money from retirement accounts in 2020, answer No to the disaster distribution question. 

In the Federal Review section, you will have a chance to confirm the amount of 3rd stimulus payment received. Do not add it anywhere else. 

@christian_boulig

Okay great. That's what I meant about entering stimulus money. We confirmed it at the end.

Thanks!!

I took money out of my retirement in 2020 and filed it when I did my 2020 taxes during the 2021 tax season. I did choose the disaster distribution when I filed, but I never chose to repay back over 3 years. It's telling me I'm unable to file yet because of disaster tax relief laws being passed by congress. If I don't owe, do I still have to check that box that I took a disaster relief between 2018-2020 because it's preventing me filing? 

@misstomblin wrote:

I took money out of my retirement in 2020 and filed it when I did my 2020 taxes during the 2021 tax season. I did choose the disaster distribution when I filed, but I never chose to repay back over 3 years. It's telling me I'm unable to file yet because of disaster tax relief laws being passed by congress. If I don't owe, do I still have to check that box that I took a disaster relief between 2018-2020 because it's preventing me filing? 

Check the NO box for disaster relief payments.

Hello! Same issue here, except whenever I uncheck the box it doesn't save my selection and keeps making me repeat the process

rug
Level 1

@harrell222 I have the same problem.

rug
Level 1

Edit found the solution

go to federal

wages and income

no, yes, no

to the 3 questions asked

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@misstomblin  Please double check your 2020 return to make sure all of the income was taxed rather than 1/3.

@harrell222 & @rug  There are some questions in the program that are considered extra important. While it looks like your answer is being erased, it isn't. The program is just re-verifying the information and blanks out the screen. Please delete the form if it is not needed. 

Choose your method of deletion:

• Online: A simple way to delete forms in TurboTax online is to use the Tax Tools menu option, which is on your left menu bar when you are working in your program. Then, choose Tools and then Delete a form.
  •  Desktop: If you are working in the download TurboTax program, use the Forms Mode on your menu bar to bring up the form you want to delete, then choose the Delete Form option at the bottom of the form.

Thank you so much. Literally just spent 30 min trying to figure it out and then did what you said to and it worked.

richa816

@rug  follow what this user says....THISSSS!!! i tried the deletion form method but you cant delete the form that keeps checking the box. But do this go to wages and income click on the one that says review click NO, YES, NO to the next 3 questions and youll be good. i promise. i was stuck on this for 2 weeks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies