turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gatorbaw

I already e filed my fed taxes but I can't err file my state and the state is not accepting paper taxes can I fax my paper work to the state

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I already e filed my fed taxes but I can't err file my state and the state is not accepting paper taxes can I fax my paper work to the state

You wrote:  "I already e filed my fed taxes but I can't err file my state and the state is not accepting paper taxes can I fax my paper work to the state"

You didn't mention what state it is.  It likely depends on the particular state about whether they will accept a return by FAX.  If you aren't efiling, I would bet they would like to have the original signature on an original copy, not a FAX.  

A FAXed return is probably still considered a paper return.  They may have to print it out and manually process it.

Please answer these questions:

1) Has your efiled Federal return been accepted?

2) Why are you unable to efile the state return?

3) What state?

4) Why is your state not taking paper returns?  Is it due to the Coronavirus situation?  Or have they always required efiling even before that?

I'm in the same boat: initially my e-filing federal is rejected but eventually accepted. Now my state (MA) can't be e-filed because TT says "to e-file you must also select the federal return".

I tried to include federal e-file but TT knows it is already accepted and won't do it.

Please help.

Are you using the Desktop program? There is a recent State Efile error in the Desktop program
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

Please sign up on that FAQ so they know more people are having problems.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you using a TurboTax CD/Download product? If so, please see Why am I not able to e-file my state return after filing my Federal return? for possible solutions and a link to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue become available.

If you continue to have issues please see the link below to contact one of our TurboTax representatives: What is the TurboTax phone number?

@KT1961

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info. Yes I'm using CD/desktop version. I checked the link and it still doesn't resolve the problem. I've signed up for it.

Manage cookies