turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

js1_
Level 3

How to properly fill out Line 5 of an amended return (1040-X), after mistakenly using the IRS non-filers tool?

Background:
Without going into too much detail, after reading several articles, was under the impression the IRS non-filers tool was for people who hadn’t filed in 2018, and that it would simply take one’s direct deposit information in order to send the stimulus. This was before they displayed any kind of notice/warning not to use the non-filers tool if you planned to file in 2019. I unfortunately used it, and it e-filed a bare bones 2019 tax return (along with accepting the direct deposit info). Looking on some stimulus forums, apparently a lot of other people made this same mistake. Supposedly, the only way to file taxes after doing this is by paper, using an amended return (1040-X).

I have completed my actual 2019 taxes on a standard 1040. I’m trying to complete the 1040-X now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bare bones 1040 that the non-filers tool e-filed shows:

Lines 1-23 completely blank (no zeroes), except 3 lines that show $1:

-Line 2b: “1.”    (“Taxable interest”)
-Line 7b: “1.”    (“Add lines 1, 2b, 3b, 4b, 4d, 5b, 6, and 7a. This is your total income”)
-Line 8b: “1.”    (“Subtract line 8a from line 7b. This is your adjusted gross income”)

-It doesn’t even have the standard deduction written on Line 9 (it’s blank).
-Line 21b, 21c, 21d contain direct deposit info.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For my amended return (1040-X), I have so far:

Column A = “Original amount reported or as previously adjusted (see instructions)”
Column B = “Net change - amount of increase or (decrease)”
Column C = “Correct Amount”

Income and Deductions:
Line 1: “Adjusted gross income.”
Line 1 Column A: 1
Line 1 Column B: [AGI from new 1040] minus one
Line 1 Column C: [AGI from new 1040]

Line 2: “Itemized deductions or standard deduction”
Line 2 Column A: 0
Line 2 Column B: 12200
Line 2 Column C: 12200 (using standard deduct)

Line 3: “Subtract line 2 from line 1”
Line 3 Column A: 1
Line 3 Column B: [AGI from new 1040] minus one, minus 12200
Line 3 Column C: [AGI from new 1040] minus 12200

Line 4a: All columns blank
Line 4b: All columns blank

Line 5: “Taxable income. Subtract line 4a or 4b from line 3. If the result is zero or less, enter 0”
Line 5 Column A: ?
Line 5 Column B: ?
Line 5 Column C: ?

My question is concerning how to fill out Line 5 of the 1040-X. The 1040-X detailed instructions state:

Link - 1040-X Instructions
Line 5—Taxable Income
If the taxable income on the return you are amending is $0 and you have made changes on Form 1040-X, line 1, 2, 4a, or 4b, enter on line 5, column A, the actual taxable income instead of $0. Enclose a negative amount in parentheses.

Example: Margaret showed $0 taxable income on her original return, even though she actually had a loss of $1,000. She later discovered she had additional income of $2,000. Her Form 1040-X, line 5, would show ($1,000) in column A, $2,000 in column B, and $1,000 in column C. If she failed to take into account the loss she actually had on her original return, she would report $2,000 in column C and possibly overstate her tax liability.

The issue:
-The non-filers 1040 return I am amending has $0 (blank) for line 11b (taxable income). Therefore, according to these instructions above, I should enter my new 1040’s line 11b (taxable income) into Line 5 Column A.

-But, on the 1040-X itself, line 5 says : “Subtract line 4a or 4b from line 3. If the result is zero or less, enter 0”. Doing this, Line 5 Column A would be $1 (Line 3: $1 - Line 4a/4b: $0 = $1).

My guess is I can do the following:

Line 5 Column A: 1
Line 5 Column B: [AGI from new 1040] minus one, minus 12200
Line 5 Column C: [AGI from new 1040] minus 12200

Is this acceptable? If not, what would Line 5 Columns A, B, and C be?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to properly fill out Line 5 of an amended return (1040-X), after mistakenly using the IRS non-filers tool?

Those numbers look acceptable to me.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Those numbers look acceptable to me.

I'm not perusing  your details because there is a simpler solution.

Just file your regular correct 1040 return.

Write plainly on top of page 1 "Filed after using IRS non-filers portal".

IRS will figure it out.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/stimulus-how-to-file-your-return-after-getting-rej...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies