• Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboLover2
Level 3

How to pay tax balances due on Federal and State returns filed with TurboTax?

TurboTax Deluxe Desktop

Here is what I WANT to do. But I don't know if it is possible.

I'd like to e-file my Federal and NY State returns through TurboTax but NOT pay the balances due through TurboTax. Instead I want to pay through my IRS EFTPS account and the similar government account I have for paying my NY State income taxes.

Is this possible and how can you NOT pay when you e-file through TT?

If it isn't possible I will have additional questions.

Thank you.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DoninGA
Level 15

If you want to pay the federal and state taxes owed using the online payment websites available, then all you need to do in TurboTax is to choose the option to pay the taxes owed by mailing a check.  E-file your tax returns and then do not mail a check.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DoninGA
Level 15

If you want to pay the federal and state taxes owed using the online payment websites available, then all you need to do in TurboTax is to choose the option to pay the taxes owed by mailing a check.  E-file your tax returns and then do not mail a check.

View solution in original post

TurboLover2
Level 3

Perfect!  Thank you. 👍

TurboLover2
Level 3

When are you presented with the payment options?  When you actually do the e-file?

Or is there some way to specify pay by check before you actually send the e-filed return?

DoninGA
Level 15

@TurboLover2 wrote:

When are you presented with the payment options?  When you actually do the e-file?

Or is there some way to specify pay by check before you actually send the e-filed return?

After completing your tax returns, in the File section of the program on Step 2, when taxes are owed, you will be given options on how to pay the taxes owed.

TurboLover2
Level 3

I see it... thanks again!

dmuckelroy
Returning Member

Do I have send a payment to the IRS even though I tax return was e-filed?

DoninGA
Level 15

@dmuckelroy wrote:

Do I have send a payment to the IRS even though I tax return was e-filed?

If you had federal taxes owed on the 2020 federal tax return, before you e-filed your tax return, in the File section of the program on Step 2, when taxes are owed, you were given several options on how to pay the taxes owed.  You could not have e-filed your tax return without choosing one of those options.

The Filing Instructions page will have how you chose to pay the taxes owed when Print Center is used to view/print or download a PDF of your tax return.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings