Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to pay tax balances due on Federal and State returns filed with TurboTax?

TurboTax Deluxe Desktop

Here is what I WANT to do. But I don't know if it is possible.

I'd like to e-file my Federal and NY State returns through TurboTax but NOT pay the balances due through TurboTax. Instead I want to pay through my IRS EFTPS account and the similar government account I have for paying my NY State income taxes.

Is this possible and how can you NOT pay when you e-file through TT?

If it isn't possible I will have additional questions.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you want to pay the federal and state taxes owed using the online payment websites available, then all you need to do in TurboTax is to choose the option to pay the taxes owed by mailing a check.  E-file your tax returns and then do not mail a check.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

If you want to pay the federal and state taxes owed using the online payment websites available, then all you need to do in TurboTax is to choose the option to pay the taxes owed by mailing a check.  E-file your tax returns and then do not mail a check.

Perfect!  Thank you. 👍

When are you presented with the payment options?  When you actually do the e-file?

Or is there some way to specify pay by check before you actually send the e-filed return?

@TurboLover2 wrote:

When are you presented with the payment options?  When you actually do the e-file?

Or is there some way to specify pay by check before you actually send the e-filed return?

After completing your tax returns, in the File section of the program on Step 2, when taxes are owed, you will be given options on how to pay the taxes owed.

I see it... thanks again!

dmuckelroy
Returning Member

Do I have send a payment to the IRS even though I tax return was e-filed?

@dmuckelroy wrote:

Do I have send a payment to the IRS even though I tax return was e-filed?

If you had federal taxes owed on the 2020 federal tax return, before you e-filed your tax return, in the File section of the program on Step 2, when taxes are owed, you were given several options on how to pay the taxes owed.  You could not have e-filed your tax return without choosing one of those options.

The Filing Instructions page will have how you chose to pay the taxes owed when Print Center is used to view/print or download a PDF of your tax return.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

wpb
Level 2

is this true when you use the cd  desk top also?  This is the first time I owed on federal using efile, I am ready to file but have not gone pass that page. 

@wpb wrote:

is this true when you use the cd  desk top also?  This is the first time I owed on federal using efile, I am ready to file but have not gone pass that page. 

Using the desktop editions, when you are in the File section of the program and have taxes owed, federal or state or both, on the section for Federal and/or State you will be given several options on how to pay the taxes owed.  You must choose one of the options to continue in the File section to e-file your tax return.

rmcgjr

Our return was rejected by the feds.  We had paid, electronically, what TT showed we owed.  This happened last year and when we finally found out that return had been rejected they kept the payment until we sent in another copy of the return.   Have heard nothing since.  Is our money still on hold for this year pending our mail-in return?  And why do they not believe our AGI: it came from exact copies of our 2019 return?

@rmcgjr wrote:

Our return was rejected by the feds.  We had paid, electronically, what TT showed we owed.  This happened last year and when we finally found out that return had been rejected they kept the payment until we sent in another copy of the return.   Have heard nothing since.  Is our money still on hold for this year pending our mail-in return?  And why do they not believe our AGI: it came from exact copies of our 2019 return?

If the federal e-filed return was rejected by the IRS then any payment you entered for a direct debit from your bank account would not have been received by the IRS.

How did you pay the taxes owed electronically?

Go to this IRS website for your tax account and any payments you made will be shown in the account - https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

A 2019 return was probably processed by the IRS to late for the 2019 AGI to be entered into the IRS database.  You can enter a 0 (zero) for the 2019 AGI to e-file the 2020 federal tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies