turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

asifsheny

How to change bank account

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

110 Replies
JuanJ

If you have not already e-filed your tax return you can see the following TurboTax FAQ for information on how to get to the area of your return to enter/change your bank account information.  

If you're getting a refund, we'll ask for your bank account info once you choose the direct deposit option (it's on the How Do You Want Your Federal Refund? screen in the File section).

If you owe additional taxes to the IRS and you're e-filing, enter your bank account info on the How Do You Want To Pay Your Federal Taxes? screen (choose the first option, direct debit). Direct debit is not an option for paper-filed federal returns.

To review previously-entered bank account info, simply revisit the File section in TurboTax and step through the screens.

GEN85578

Answered by TurboTax FAQ to this question

If you have already filed your tax return, you cannot make any changes as to how your refund will be paid. The IRS rules state that  taxpayers cannot rescind a Direct Deposit election and they cannot make changes to routing transit numbers of financial institutions or to their account numbers after the IRS has accepted the return. Refunds that are not direct deposited because of institutional refusal, erroneous account or routing transit numbers, closed accounts, bank mergers or any other reason are issued as paper checks, resulting in refund delays of up to ten weeks. 

Bart1972

I filed last year with you guys, my issue is the banking information is no longer any good. I would like to know how to change it to the current correct account

@Bart1972 wrote:

I filed last year with you guys, my issue is the banking information is no longer any good. I would like to know how to change it to the current correct account

You change it in the File section, Step 2.

Stujew

How can i change  my account  that my refund is going to 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

If you have already filed your return, you cannot make changes to your direct deposit information. Even if the IRS has not accepted your return, submitting it is similar to dropping it in a mailbox. You cannot cancel or retrieve it. If the IRS accepts your return, and the bank information provided is not accurate, the direct deposit will be rejected by the financial institution and sent back to the IRS. From there, the IRS will issue you a paper check, which can take up to ten weeks.

If you have not yet filed your return, you have the chance to update your bank information on the File section of your return. In Step 2, you will be asked to verify or update your bank information for direct deposit. As stated above, the screen will ask How Do You Want Your Federal Refund? From there, enter the information for direct deposit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Wayne598

Need to change bank account number

AmyC
Expert Alumni

It depends on if you have filed the return or not.

• If you have not filed the return, go back into your return to the FILE section, step 2, and change your bank information.
  • If you have filed the return, you can NOT change the account. Two things could happen depending on whether or not you paid Turbo Tax already.
    1. If you paid before filing: Once the bank rejects the deposit, the IRS will mail you the refund.
    2. If you chose to pay your fees from your refund, then Santa Barbara bank has your refund and should mail you the refund. You may need to call them  at 800-717-7228.

My bank account information has changed since I filed this year. How do I update my information bank?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Have you already filed?

If you have not e-filed, (after sign-in / select Pick up where you left off), to your left, select File and follow the prompts to get to How do you want your refund

If you have e-filed, wait until your return is accepted or rejected by the IRS.

If your return is rejected, correct the banking information (along with anything else that needs to be corrected for e-filing) and then re-submit your return.

To correct your bank information, simply sign back into your account in TurboTax, click File, and follow the prompts.

If your return has been accepted, you cannot change the bank information.  If the routing number is incorrect, IRS will send you a check refund instead.

@Gingerehart

Kendallls
Returning Member

How do I go about receiving a tuebobtax card if I filed my taxes threw h&r block

@Kendallls wrote:

How do I go about receiving a tuebobtax card if I filed my taxes threw h&r block

If you filed your tax return with H&R block, then you cannot have your tax refund deposited onto a Turbo® Visa® Debit Card or request the card.

whitney-1234
Returning Member

How to change bank account  from  last year's return 

Deb31

I already had .y taxes done through turbo tax but I would like to update my banking information

proppo001

For the record, this answer is incorrect for 2018, at least if you can't file electronically (too late). You must go as far as 'Print Return', 5-6 windows into the File menu. Quite frustrating item to find, the linked FAQ in all these answers no longer exists. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies