turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How many computers can a turbotax installed on using one serial number?

How many computer can a turboxtax installed on using one serial number?

Each installation must have the same return? or can have different returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

103 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You can install TurboTax CD/Download on up to five different computers. Each installed copy can prepare different returns.

PLease read this TurboTax Help topic for more information.

@manbeing @VolvoGirl   I have edited my answer. Thank you.

Edited 03/10/2020  |  11:15 AM PST

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You can install the Desktop program on 5 computers.   Can I install on more than 1 computer?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/can-i-install-turbotax-on-more-than-one-computer/0...

With the Desktop version you can prepare and print unlimited federal and unlimited state returns and efile up to 5 federal for free (IRS limit). And it has what if scenarios and you can see and enter directly into the actual forms. State is currently $24.99 each to efile but it is free to print and mail unlimited returns.

@MinhT1   That link you posted is for Canada.

I installed once in my computer and my computer had an issue that I have to reformat my computer. Then I lost the turbotax software in my computer. I have not even filed yet, does it consider I used one installation?

cf1133

for 2020 Turbo tax Home & Business,  can it be installed for 5 PCs at home? 

(I know it is 5 PCs for 2019 version) 

Thanks

Frank

Yes ----you are still limited to a TOTAL of five federal e-files.  More than five---print sign and mail them.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

yes, it can be installed on 5 PCs but per the licensing agreement, that is 5 PCs YOU own....no sharing of the software outside your ownership is technically permitted. 

why would you want to install it on 5 computers in that your own? what is the value? just curious. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

be wary of unauthorized sellers.   what they can do is buy a legit copy and then make illegal copies of the CD. then they can sell to 5 customers who will be able to activate only once.  

Do I need a CD drive, or can I download the program on 5 computers directly from Turbo Tax after purchasing at Costco?  Can it be downloaded to both Windows and a Mac computer?

That was true for Turbotax 2019. I just got off the phone with Turbotax support, and Turbotax for the tax year 2020 can only be installed on 1 computer.

Reference to case number: [number removed]

Not that's wrong.  It hasn't changed.  You can install 2020 on 5 computers you own.  Either you misunderstood Support or they misunderstood you.

@dinger2625  Yes you can download it.

How to download Turbo Tax instead of using the CD

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/i-bought-the-cd-but-my-computer-doesn-t-have-a-cd-...

sorry - you were given incorrect information. This is the link to the 2020 license agreement

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/desktop.jsp

2. Supplemental License Grant and Restrictions.

In addition to the General License Grant you may: (i) install and use a copy of the Software on up to five (5) computers owned by you (at home or at work); (ii) use the Software only to prepare, print and/or electronically file your federal 2020 tax year returns and related state tax returns as described below; (iii) make one backup copy of the Software for your personal use as permitted under this license grant. Any software that is delivered by electronic transmission (regardless of whether a replacement copy is ordered) shall be deemed delivered on the date that Intuit makes such program available for download.

@ttlongtimeuser   

You can install the Turbo Tax Desktop program on up to 5 computers you own.  See the 2020 License, scroll down to Section B, #2

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/desktop.jsp

"In addition to the General License Grant you may: (i) install and use a copy of the Software on up to five (5) computers owned by you (at home or at work);..."

@VolvoGirl    Thank You, I am glad to hear that.  However, Intuit person (1-800-446-8848) told me today otherwise.  Reference to case number: [removed]    I like your answer better and will try to install it on my laptop and my desktop and will see what happens.     

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies