Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I see where the child tax credit is applied? I'm filing as head of household for tax year 2023 and claiming my daughter. I don't see it listed under credits.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

How do I see where the child tax credit is applied? I'm filing as head of household for tax year 2023 and claiming my daughter. I don't see it listed under credits.

You can look at line 19 or 28 of your 1040 to see if you received the Child Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit. 

To see your 1040 select the following:

• Tools
  • Tax Tools
  • View Tax Summary
  • Preview My 1040

The Child Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit rules have reverted back to what they were.  The rules for 2021, where everyone got $2,000 for their child if their income was under a certain level, no longer applies. 

This means, that for this year, the nonrefundable Child Tax Credit will lower your tax liability down to $0.  So if your tax liability on line 18 is $1,300, you would only be eligible for $1,300 of the Child Tax Credit.

After that, if you did not use it all up, you may still be able to get the Additional Child Tax Credit.  This will not be more than 15% of your Earned income minus $2,500.  So, if your Earned Income is $10,000, your Additional Child Tax Credit would not be more than $1,125.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When Revisit the Child Tax Credit (screenshot below)tax1.JPG

It displays this:

tax2.JPG

Why wouldn't she be eligible?  

Please note, based on my standard deductions as, I do get a refund. Is that why child tax credit doesn't apply because I'm getting a refund? what about the additional dependent credit? Does that require a second child to be listed? 

Thanks.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

There could be an entry in the MY INFO section for your daughter that is incorrect, if TurboTax is saying she is not eligible for the credit.

Go back and review all the entries for her.  She must have lived with you all year, in the US, and did NOT provide over half of her own support, and is your child.  Did you indicate that the other parent is claiming her? 

Here are the Requirements for the Child Tax Credit

Getting a refund would not prevent you from getting the Additional Child Tax Credit.   The 'Other Dependent Credit' of $500 is for someone you support that is not your child. 

If you're using TurboTax Online, try closing the program, clear your Cache and Cookies, and revisit the section again.

If you can't resolve this issue, you can Contact TurboTax Support for help. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Make sure you have entered your child as a dependent in My Info, and that you have entered the child's Social Security number.    Careful— do not say that your child’s SSN is not valid for employment.  If your child was born in 2023 make sure you said he lived with you the whole year.  There is an oddly worded question that asks if the child paid over half their own support.  Say NO to that question.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for your reply. I had already upgraded to Assisted service to have an expert look at it and she had me delete and reenter my daughter's info and then it worked.  I entered the exact SS# and other info. I feel like I should be refunded for the upgrade because this was obviously a system glitch.  Thanks again for your reply. 

Matt

Hello.  Thank you for your reply.  This was resolved by live expert support. I basically deleted and reentered the info. Apparently there was an issues with the software itself. 

Matt

" I feel like I should be refunded for the upgrade"

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies