Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

gotohome

How do I report TurboTax Software Errors?

I am using 2017 Turbotax Premier. Your program calculated a taxable income of $28,368 (line 43) and a corresponding tax of $583 (line 44) for a single payer. The 1040 tax tables say the tax should be $3790. I'd like this error fixed.

It depends on what kind of income you have, if you have capital gains or qualified dividends the tax is not taken from the tax table but is calculated separately from schedule D.  The tax will be calculated on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.  It does not get filed with your return.  

For the Desktop version you can switch to Forms Mode and open the worksheet to see it.  Click Forms in the upper right (upper left for Mac) and look through the list and open the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.

@ gotohome wrote:

I am using 2017 Turbotax Premier. Your program calculated a taxable income of $28,368 (line 43) and a corresponding tax of $583 (line 44) for a single payer. The 1040 tax tables say the tax should be $3790. I'd like this error fixed.

This is a user community forum, but we may be able to tell you what is going on.  

TurboTax does not always use just the Tax Tables to calculate your tax due.   There are several tax calculation methods, and TurboTax uses whatever method is prescribed by the items in your return.    For example, did you have any qualified dividends?  Or any capital gains from the sales of stocks, bonds, mutual funds, etc., or capital gain distributions from mutual funds?     When you have qualified dividends and/or capital gains, the tax is calculated on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet and will be lower than the Tax Tables.      Those items are taxed at a lower rate than the ordinary income in the Tax Tables.   If you had such items, go into Forms Mode and look at that worksheet which shows the calculation.   In the forms list it may be abbreviated as Qual Div/CapGn.

Also, here's how to look to see what method(s) TurboTax used to calculate your tax:

Go into Forms Mode and view the Form 1040 from the forms list.

In the vicinity of Line 43 or 44, look for a "Tax Smart Worksheet."

It tells you where the tax calculation came from.

rmack001

My husband and I file jointly. We are retired and have no earned income. Turbotax computes $1,000 less tax refund for my 1099R if I am the owner. If he is the owner, his refund is $1,000 more. Same happens if I am the owner of his 1099R. I am always taxed more. Is this a bug? 

ccy94

On Schedule A, I entered the dates that I lived in my state as being 01/01/2020 through 12/31/2020. Upon completion of my return, I was brought back to change these dates, the error stated that this was more than 366 days, so it  must be changed. I tried and tried and tried to delete the dates and re-enter them, but using the same dates, as I lived in Texas the entire year. I finally gave up and went on to file anyway. Now, I cant do so, because I didn't make the correction. Ir states I must mail in my return, it is not eligible for e-filing due to this error. What is going on??

sheldondusty1
Returning Member

Form 8917, line 5 seems to have a software error.   This line is not adjusting for the recently completed unemployment fix, and is not subtracting down form lines 3 and 4. 

@sheldondusty1 wrote:

Form 8917, line 5 seems to have a software error.   This line is not adjusting for the recently completed unemployment fix, and is not subtracting down form lines 3 and 4. 

If no one responds in this cluttered multi-issue, multi-user, multi-paged thread, you may need to either start your own new thread where it will have more visibility to fellow users and tax experts, or phone TurboTax Support for realtime help.   

If you decide to start your own new thread on your issue, go to the page below and click the blue "Ask a Question" button. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/02/202

The title line is limited and is mainly for a question summary.  Below that title line is a box with plenty of room to provide an explanation/details.  But this is a public Internet forum, so don't post any personal information in the forum.

Also, please make it clear if you are using desktop software (CD/download) or Online TurboTax (web version.) And if you are using desktop software, if you're trying to do it in the step-by-step Interview Mode (recommended) or Forms Mode.

If you are using a paid edition (PLUS or higher), you have phone support.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or you can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it might schedule a callback.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

If you are using Free Edition without pLUS, phone support is not included unless you upgrade to PLUS for a fee of 29.99.  But you can contact a TurboTax Support agent for free directly via messaging at Twitter or Facebook.

https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax
or
https://www.facebook.com/turbotax

rigardnerjr
Returning Member

IRS rejected 2020 tax return due to incorrect calculation of carryover charitable deduction limits.  Tax return has a 2020 charitable contribution plus carryover contributions for 2017 and 2019.  The TT Charitable Contributions Summary form shows that all 3 contribution amounts were deducted from AGI without applying AGI limit checks. How can I report this error to Intuit?

rigardnerjr
Returning Member

IRS Notice CP11 on my 2020 tax return due to incorrect calculation of carryover charitable contribution limits, Tax return has a 2020 charitable contribution plus carryover contributions for 2017 and 2019.  The TT Charitable Contributions Summary form shows all 3 contribution amounts were deducted from AGI without applying AGI limit checks.

@ rigardnerjr wrote:

IRS Notice CP11 on my 2020 tax return due to incorrect calculation of carryover charitable contribution limits, Tax return has a 2020 charitable contribution plus carryover contributions for 2017 and 2019.  The TT Charitable Contributions Summary form shows all 3 contribution amounts were deducted from AGI without applying AGI limit checks.

TurboTax has an Accurate Calculations Guarantee.  If this turns out to be a TurboTax error, and if you had any penalties/interest resulting from a miscalculation, you can invoke the Guarantee.

In any case, since you got a CP11 notice, the fastest way into TurboTax Support would likely be through their free TurboTax Audit Support Center.  It should be easier than reaching general Customer Support.

You can go to the page below, click the blue "Get Help" button, and follow the prompts to get a phone number.  

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

Along with the phone number, it'll display an approximate wait time.  It varies during the day/evening and is unpredictable.   But I suspect early morning and mid-day is likely less busy.

If the TurboTax Audit Support person doesn't understand your software issue, ask them to transfer you to the technical side to report the issue.

I have a form K1 in my taxes. after I get to the part to list my capital account it will not let me enter information. if I try more than once it will cause TurboTax to crash

I have a k1 form in my taxes. When I try to inter information into the Capital account it will not lt me inter it. If I try more than once Trubotax will crash

t62tinman
Returning Member

2020 NJ-1040NR Sch NJ-DOP does not correctly transfer data to the Allocation Worksheet for Part-Year and Nonresidents when transactions that occur during the period of non-residency are removed (by checking the box in column g*.

Helen F
Returning Member

In its help window, TurboTax lists $25,000 as the maximum 401K salary deferral for 2020. It should be $26,000 ($19,500 + $6500 catch up). 

In the window "A Friendly Reminder about your Retirement," TurboTax lists the RMD age for most people as 70 1/2. It should reflect the change in law to age 72.

But kudos to TurboTax for bringing this reminder to people close to 70!

Joe2020-1

I live in Florida and sold land in New York State. I input necessary information including amount of state taxes I paid at closing and noted the taxes were paid to New York. I paid extra for New York Turbo Tax since I also use Massachusetts.  When completed with inputs, Turbo Tax is telling me I'm getting more tax refund from NYS than I paid.  In looking deeper I noticed on the Federal Tax Payment Worksheet that my input of $5862 tax I paid to NYS is also shown as tax paid to Florida; why does Turbo Tax do this and this could be where the extra NYS refund is coming from?  This totally messes up my NYS taxes and I can't use your NYS Turbo Tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies