turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

reason111

How do I report a bug? TT2020 imported the incorrect state refund amount from 2019. I used TT last year also. Both versions are installed on a laptop. How to I report?

The import is incorrect. I've gone back and executed the 2019 software to verify and I've taken a printscreen showing the refund verses what the 2020 import shows. Yes, I know I can override it but it should still be corrected.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I report a bug? TT2020 imported the incorrect state refund amount from 2019. I used TT last year also. Both versions are installed on a laptop. How to I report?

A lot depends on what is actually in that prior year tax return as a refund....and what state is involved.

Commonly people "think" their refund was lower than TTX transfers...but it really isn't.

As an examples:

1)...I get $300 refunded to me from my state last year.....but my transfer to this year shows $500.  Well, the $500 is correct. Why, because I donated $200 to two check-off charities on the state tax forms, and the refund BEFORE those checkoffs is what has to be used.

2)  Another thing that has to be added-back to refund you actually received...are any $$ assessed for state "Use Tax".   Those are sales taxes and not income taxes, so if you had any assessed in the state forms, you have to add those $$ to your pocketed refund too. 

3)  Then, say I let the state keep a few hundred as prepayments against the next year's taxes...then those $$ have to be added back too.

TTX automatically does calculate those correctly.

when in doubt...get your state Refund 1099-G form your state and see what that indicates.  A lot of states no longer mail them out, but let you get them Online on the state tax website.

(penalty assessed?  sorry add that amount back too.   Might be a few other things....could there still be a TTX transfer error...yeah, but rarely happens.  Someone with detailed information of everything on your State tax form would have to get involved...        https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632                                   )

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I have exactly the same problem.  How do I perform an over-ride?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

If the amount is doubled try this to resolve the doubled state refund amount: 

1. Log into TurboTax
  2. Go to Tax Tools
  3. Then Tools
  4. Click Edit/Delete a form

Do you see more than one 1099-G for your state refund there?  If so, delete one of those forms, then sign out of your TurboTax account. If it is not doubled you can correct the form in this area also.

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support if you need further assistance:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

@dickstrick17

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies