turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I make it calculate a nj-2210?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

In your New Jersey interview, when you see the question "Interest on Underpayment of Estimated Tax", click on Reduce Interest.

This will take you through the interview for the NJ-2210. 

Pressing Calculate to the first question above tells TurboTax that you don't want to look for exceptions to the interest, because you are going to let the State calculate the interest and bill you. This suppresses the NJ-2210.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rxs0569

The "calculate" button does not work for Tax Underpayment NJ-2210.

You have to choose "Reduce Interest". 

When it asks you  "would you like to see if annualizing your income can ..." you can choose "No" and the interest will be added  to your  NJ-2210 and your 1040

So bottom line, the "calculate" button does not work. It also did not work two years ago because I got a hefty bill from NJ with two years of interest so now I always double check. 

Just updated my TurboTax software tonight, but the NJ-2210 form's worksheet is still showing an error that I noticed earlier: 

When you log into the NJ website to access this form and worksheet - https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/2210.pdf - you will note that the percentages under Calculating the Interest Option 1 are different from those on the same worksheet/form in TurboTax. 

Is TurboTax planning on fixing this so that the percentages match those on the form for 2021 on the NJ state website? Concerned about it being able to calculate the fee correctly. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for reporting this experience.  Due to the proximity of the filing date, you can call our Customer Service to report the miscalculation, and in the meantime, you can either file the return or file an extension.  

So we are able to take a closer look, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@ParagonRob

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies