turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I link my 1099-NEC to schedule c? The "review" keeps stopping me at box 1 of the 1099 and asking me to “double click to link to: schedule c”

The instructions on the review page say,

“A Link to Schedule C or another form is something we need to get your info in the right place. Here's what to do: Go to "Federal" and then "Income & Expenses". Select "Income from Form 1099-NEC." Make sure to complete all of the info in this area.”

However, I’m on mobile and there’re no ‘federal’/‘income & expenses’ button(s). I have no idea what to put in the text box, and I’ve been stuck trying to figure it out for two days now. 
For context:

I have a 1099-NEC (filled out twice to try to fix issue)

I have a W-2 unrelated to the self-employment income

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

How do I link my 1099-NEC to schedule c? The "review" keeps stopping me at box 1 of the 1099 and asking me to “double click to link to: schedule c”

Currently there is a known issue when using TurboTax Online that is related to the program asking you to double-click to link to Schedule C. 

Also you can review the information below for a possible steps to solve the issue.  

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to link these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find),
  4. Click on “Jump to 1099-NEC
  5. Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return:

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find).
  3. Click on “Jump to schedule c”.
  4. Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminated. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

32 Replies

Oh, and there’s nothing to double click

I am having the same problem and am finding no solution. Have tried deleting and re-entering. No problem with the other 3 1099 NECs but this one is stuck

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Currently there is a known issue when using TurboTax Online that is related to the program asking you to double-click to link to Schedule C. 

Also you can review the information below for a possible steps to solve the issue.  

Income reported on Form 1099-NEC must be reported on Schedule C, the program is trying to link these two forms together to be sure that it is reported correctly and on the right form.

Revisit the section where you entered the Form 1099-NEC if you entered it on its own and delete that entry, by following these steps:

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  3. Type in “1099-NEC” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find),
  4. Click on “Jump to 1099-NEC
  5. Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-NEC” link

This will bring you a summary of all Form 1099-NEC that you have entered.  Click Delete or the trash can icon next to each one.

Next, you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC as part of the Schedule C so that the income is reported directly as part of your Business Income and Expenses and within the correct form and section of your return.

Follow these steps to go to the Schedule C section of your return:

1. On the top right corner of TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner).
  2. Type in “schedule c” (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find).
  3. Click on “Jump to schedule c”.
  4. Click on the blue “Jump to schedule c” link

If you already have created a Schedule C in your return, click on edit and go to the section to Add Income.  This is where you will re-enter the Form 1099-NEC. 

If you do not already have a Schedule C in your return, follow the prompts and enter the information about your work/business for which you received the Form 1099-NEC.  Then continue through that section to Add Income and enter the Form 1099-NEC along with any additional income you received for that business.  

Once you have completed this, the error should be eliminated. 

I found another easy fix! 

Go to Print and download/view your current return. See if you can find the error (in my case there were two 1099-NECs for the same job, one being correct and the other the error one). Then you keep that open and you can go to Tools and from there you can delete a file. I deleted the incorrect file and bam. All done and submitted!

I think it converted a 1099-MISC from last year into a 1099-NEC but then didn't delete it and I couldn't edit or change it.

ddunn17

YES!!! SAME PROBLEM!!!  I have tried so many times and even cleared everything twice and started over :(

Keeps telling me "Needs review"

Then I go to where the Schedule C is open for me to enter something but it WILL NOT SAVE...

and there's NOTHING TO CLICK ON where it says " Double Click to Link to" Schedule C

I'm so annoyed...

MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

Some TurboTax Online customers are getting the error when attempting to link their Form 1099-NEC.

I deleted both 1099-NEC using the tools section as mysgyn stated & added one back, cleared up the issue!

I unfortunately only have one 1099-NEC. I deleted and re-did it, but to no avail. Thanks for sharing though I’m sure this will work for someone else on the thread.

autimom

I ran into this and solved it:

Click on "federal" on left.

Select Income - do on my own.

I saw my 1099-NEC listed twice - under other income at top, and Schedule C down the list.

Originally, I just entered 1099-NEC when asked to enter income. Last year, I had 1099-MISC, but NEC is new. Anyway, I guess it just put it both places.

So, I just clicked on the "other income" NEC income and deleted it (click update, then trash can). Then, the one attached to schedule C was gone - read $0 now. So, went down the list of income to schedule C and clicked update (it had the dollar amount from 1099-Misc last year, but $0 for this year.)

Entered NEC again (it lets you select either NEC or MISC). Problem solved!

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC

Thank You for your patience

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year.

I tried to do that but it doesn’t give me the option to search for anything on the free version. I can’t file on the app because I’ve already started on the free version so I’m just stuck?

@CatinaT1 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

No, you are not stuck.  After you sign back into your free online edition, follow these steps:

• Select Pick up where you left off
  • Then, at the right upper corner, under Search, type in "1099nec" or "schedule c"
  • Follow prompts

If you are in the free edition, as you follow prompts, you will need to upgrade to the next level to Deluxe or Self-employed edition depends on your situation. 

Generally, most taxpayers who receive a Form1099-NEC are considered as self employed by the IRS and required to pay self-employment tax.  You will need to file a Schedule C reporting both income and any related expenses.  You will also need to file a Schedule SE to pay your self-employment tax.  If you received the form for a non-self employment income, you will enter it as Other Income on your Form 1040.  Follow the prompts in the TurboTax program and it will take you there.  To learn more, click here: 1099-NEC

@Alphablue18

I sold personal used merchandise in an online auction and they sent me a 1099-NEC.  I disagree that it should be considered income but because I was the auctioneer, they sent it.  Throughout the year I received NYS unemployment benefits and was anticipating a stimulus payment based on 2020 income.  Will the 1099 be considered self employment income and affect my unemployment benefits?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes @fillurbucket. If your received a 1099-NEC, the sender considers you to have earned Nonemployee Compensation. In other words, self-employment income.

Enter any 1099-NEC from self-employment directly in Self-employment income and expensesOpen your return and search for self employed income (use this exact phrase). Select the Jump to link. This will take you directly to the section where you can enter info about your self-employment work, including any 1099-NECs or 1099-MISCs you have.

Select Add income for this work. You will see a place to add 1099-NEC.

Self-employed individuals in New York State may be eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. The 1099-NEC was for 2020. The only way it would affect your unemployment benefits would be if you were ineligible for benefits due to you self-employment income.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies