turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I change W-4 of higher paying job to avoid owing taxes at the end of the year?

Hi there,

I recently took on a weekend job in addition to my weekday job. After doing some research on how to fill out my W-4s so I avoid owing taxes at the end of the year, I gathered that:

*On the W-4 for the lower paying job (which I understand is the weekend job) I only need to tick the ‘multiple jobs’ box (Step 2) but can leave the withholding section (Step 4) blank.

*On the W-4 for the higher paying job (that is my weekday job) I need to tick the ‘multiple jobs’ box (Step 2) AND put down a withholding amount (Step 4c). For the withholding amount I can either use the IRS withholding calculator or the table on page 4 of the W-4 (which I prefer as it's less time-consuming), where I find the Annual Taxable Wage and Salary by tracing where the Higher and Lower paying jobs meet and dividing that number by 26 (since I’m paid bi-weekly for both jobs) and then noting that number down in Step 4c).

I am hoping you can clarify if this process is accurate, and whether there is anything missing that I would still need to do. My goal is to avoid owing taxes at the end of the year! Many thanks in advance for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I change W-4 of higher paying job to avoid owing taxes at the end of the year?

You said everything, absolutely correct. In your situation, the guidance you researched and how you spelled it would be perfect. And to be sure, if you are Single, that would be your best approach and if you are Married, selected Married, but Withhold at the Higher Single Rate, in addition to withholding marginal additions to Line 4c to cover you as needed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You said everything, absolutely correct. In your situation, the guidance you researched and how you spelled it would be perfect. And to be sure, if you are Single, that would be your best approach and if you are Married, selected Married, but Withhold at the Higher Single Rate, in addition to withholding marginal additions to Line 4c to cover you as needed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Awesome, thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies