Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

4monkeys

How do I change my choice for filing? I can not e-file state and that was the option I chose.

I chose to have federal and state filed together. I can not e-file state.  How to I have my filing
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

How do I change my choice for filing? I can not e-file state and that was the option I chose.

If you are not able to e-file your state tax return, you will need to print them and mail them to your state Department of Revenue. Follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to do so. Once you print out your state return, you should see the Filing Instructions document that print out with it. On this document you will see the address to where to mail your return to and instructions.

After you have printed your state tax return, you can then switch to the e-filing method to e-file your federal tax return. See the instructions in this link here to do so.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ 4monkeys wrote:
I chose to have federal and state filed together. I can not e-file state.  How to I have my filing

What state is it, and why can't you efile the state return?  

Go through the REVIEW tab, and it may tell you why.  Some of your state forms may not yet be ready.   It's better to wait and efile than to print and mail.   And if the forms are not ready, they may have a watermark on them that says "Do Not File".

You can also check state form availability here:

State Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

I know you originally chose to file both Federal and State together.  But what happened with the Federal since then?   Did it go through; i.e., did you already efile the Federal?    If you already efiled the Federal by itself, then you cannot efile the state return until the Federal return has been accepted.  Unfortunately, due to late tax law changes the IRS will not even open up to start processing until February 12, 2021, except for a few returns they pull early for testing purposes.   If you did efile the Federal, then check the status at the Tax Home page, and it should say "pending."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies