turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I find out if someone claimed me as a dependant?

I just tried to fill out the online IRS tool for stimulas check and it says someone claimed me. I live in my own home,pay my own bills. No one supports me but ME. It rejected saying my ss number was claimed as a dependent. If I do not get stimulas I'll lose my home, lights shut off I am worried sick.. Can not get a human at it's to talk to ask what to do.

But I CAN NOT BE CLAIMED,yet I WAS. I support myself. I live alone. No one pays my bills. No one supported me 6 months out of THE YEAR. Only I paid bills. Just me. How do I get my check. My home will be lost, utilities shut off. Worries sick. It rejected me on stimulas sight saying O was claimed as dependant

How can I find out someone has clam me as a dependent 

@Selicia8620 wrote:

How can I find out someone has clam me as a dependent 

Ask them.   Or just e-file - if it rejects because you SSN has already been used then you will know and will have to mail file.   The IRS will never tell you who claimed you.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

im running into eligibility issues that im not understand. On my taxes for 2019 i filed single but the box is checked that i can be claimed. im 26 this year. 25 was supposedly my last year able to be claimed and get money off of it. so my older sister claimed me for 2018 taxes. fast forward to 2019 taxes. i filed single but put that i can be claimed. my older sister tells me she did not claim me. does this effect my stimulus eligibility? i still have not recieves my check. i still have the same routings numbers. my agi was only 553 dollars for 2019 and my refind was only 39$ dollars. im so lost i just want a defenant answer. ive seen on twitter a TURBO tax supprt member say that if nobody claimed than it should not yave any effect on your payment. most of my friends have got thiers already and im at witts end. 

SteelPanther666
Returning Member

This is what I was told, not only by a representative from the IRS but also by a certified public accountant. I also had this problem and the only sure way to find out is have a professional go over your taxes and if they find that someone else did claim you, then you can report this to the IRS and they will open an investigation. As far as getting your stimulus check, it would probably work the same way but I wouldn't waste any time.

Returning Member

• I want to know if someone claimed me on there taxes
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The only ways to know are to ask anyone who might have done so, and to file your return.  

If your return is rejected as a duplicate submission then that is how you will know.  If you are not the dependent of another person, you will need to print your return and file it by mail in that instance.  

@21121

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How can I find out if someone claim me 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Most times you may find that your tax return is being rejected because you receive a rejection code when you try to electronically file your return.

If you are able to file your return without receiving a rejection code, chances are you have not been claimed by someone else as a dependent.  

You may also need to discuss this with anyone who could have potentially claimed you if this is a concern to verify that you were not claimed.  See the link below to determine the requirements to be claimed as a dependent.

Dependent qualifications

If you end up being claimed and you did not know and should not have been claimed as a dependent, you can still file your tax return, but will need to mail it in instead.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How can i find out if my brother claimed me and my daughter's

@ Nelly40 ASK him.  The IRS will not tell you if someone claimed you or one of your dependents, and you cannot find out.  The way you will know if someone claimed you or one of your dependents is when you get the nasty surprise of trying to e-file your own return and having it rejected because someone else has already filed using your Social Security number.  

Do you have some reason to think your brother claimed you or your child?  Does he contribute to your support?  

You can file your own tax return and mail it in and let the IRS sort it out if your e-file is being rejected.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
pri93

It could be that your tax preparer selected on your tax return someone can claim you as a dependent which is causing you to not get your stimulus check. That happened to me. I would review your tax return to see if in fact that box was checked. 

I got rejected 3 times, twice over e-file and once over mail. All came out the same somebody claimed me as a dependent this was my 1st time filing taxes, im a 21yr old who has a 1yr old son and im wondering how i can be a dependent if im an adult and who has a dependent of my own. I called the IRS and they wouldnt let me know who claimed me so I'm wondering if there is a way to figure out who claimed me as a dependent

@MissViper98 wrote:

I got rejected 3 times, twice over e-file and once over mail. All came out the same somebody claimed me as a dependent this was my 1st time filing taxes, im a 21yr old who has a 1yr old son and im wondering how i can be a dependent if im an adult and who has a dependent of my own. I called the IRS and they wouldnt let me know who claimed me so I'm wondering if there is a way to figure out who claimed me as a dependent

Sorry, there is no way to find out who claimed you on their tax return as a dependent.

Do not understand what you mean you were rejected "once over mail".

Since the IRS has already received a tax return with your Social Security number entered as a dependent, you will have to print and mail your tax return.  You claim your child on your tax return and make sure that you have not selected that you can be claimed as a dependent on your return.  If you are owed a federal tax refund the IRS will pay the refund.

Within a year, you and the other party will receive letters from the IRS to investigate the situation.  Make sure you reply to any IRS inquiry.  The loser of the investigation must pay back any tax refund along with paying penalties and interest.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies