turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I find out if someone claimed me as a dependant?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

80 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

The only way to find out is to file your tax return and see if it gets accepted or rejected. If it's accepted, then no one has claimed you and if it's rejected someone has.

analpee

WHAT IF YOU CLAIM MORE THAN ONE, HOW DO YOU DETERMINE WHICH PRICK HAS ILLEGALLY CLAIMED YOUR DEPENDENT?

The IRS will not tell you who claimed your dependent if that happened.
Someone else claimed my dependent and my return was rejected
If someone else claimed your dependent already, then your e-filed return will be rejected.  Print, sign and mail your own return which claims your dependent.  Mailed returns are processed differently by the IRS.  It will take some time (maybe even up to a year) but eventually the IRS will contact both parties and sort out who could rightfully claim the dependent.  The person who wrongfully claimed the dependent will face repayment of refund $, plus penalties.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I am on social security and dont file taxes So how can i find out if someone is claiming me

@myself4evr - You cannot.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I need to know what to do to file my claim after someone has claimed meself

@TAYLORSCABINETCOMMODITY   Did your return  efile reject because someone claimed you (like your parents)?  If you qualify as their dependent then you need to check that box on your return.  Go to My Info, click Edit by your name and scrolls down to #3 and change it.

Or if you don't know who claimed you or if they are not qualified to claim you then you will need to print and mail your return and let the IRS determine who is able to claim you.

SteelPanther666
Returning Member

I'm not saying I am more experienced but I am in the same situation (disabled, receiving social security) and I live with my brother. He tried to claim me as a dependant and couldn't. I filed myself (after talking to the IRS) and found out someone had illegally obtained my social security number. So, it's a good idea to check if you're worried.

Rws3

Hello I recently filed my taxes and thought my parents claimed me they didn't amd alreadt sent my taxes someone is lying and is causing them to get my stimulus check from.covid 19 and not me please help me figure it out 

@Rws3 wrote:

Hello I recently filed my taxes and thought my parents claimed me they didn't amd alreadt sent my taxes someone is lying and is causing them to get my stimulus check from.covid 19 and not me please help me figure it out 

Exactly what are you trying to figure out?  What is the problem if you already filed?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

How do I know if someone claimed me as a dependent?? I need to know if I will get a stimulus check I already filed my taxes on here and got a return of $465

If someone claimed you as a dependent before you e-filed, your own e-file would have been rejected.  You say that you filed successfully, so it sounds like you are good.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DJohnson5

I filed successfully as a independent and my step dad  claimed me on his return after which also successfully went through ( I wasn’t aware of ) , would that mess with the possibility of me getting a stimulus check im 18 and not in college 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

A social security number cannot be claimed twice on two separate returns. If he claimed you and filed after your return was accepted, his return should have been rejected by the IRS. You will want to review this information on the returns. 

The IRS is making stimulus payments based on the information on your return and not necessarily matching it up with other filings to confirm. Per the IRS, you are not eligible if:

You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. For example, this would include a child, student or older dependent who can be claimed on a parent’s return.

It does not state that you are claimed, but rather that you are can be claimed on someone else's return.

Economic Impact Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies