Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing with my married name but my maiden name is on W2, how do I change the last name?

I got married this year and changed my last name with SSA. I asked my former employer to update my last name for my W-2. Unfortunately they were unable to change former employees information. Turbo Tax automatically puts my married name on my W-2 is there a way to change it to my maiden name to reflect what is on the W-2 I received?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies
raj17872

Filing with my married name but my maiden name is on W2, how do I change the last name?

Anuszkiewicz

@raj17872  Your post to a five year old thread makes no sense.  Do you have a question?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

if my w2 is in my maiden name should i file my taxes under my maiden name

@kdesmond1961 You should file your taxes under the name on your current social security card.  If you have changed your name with the Social Security Administration and received a new Social Security Card then file with your married name.  If you have not made the change with Social Security yet, then file with your maiden name.  

Hi heathermcfarland!

You do not need to change your name on your W-2 in Turbo Tax.  The W-2 will be matched to your return using your social security number rather than your name.  

As a side note your employer really should have changed your name on the W-2 since they could face a penalty for reporting a W-2 with a name and social that do not match.  This isn't your problem though and shouldn't effect your ability to file your return.

I hope this helps.  If it does not adequately address your concern, please reply to this post so that I may continue to assist you.

Thank you for being a Turbo Tax customer!

I'm getting married on Dec 4 my w2 has maiden name. How will they know my new name

It only goes by your SSN.  On your tax return use whatever name is still at Social Security.  So if you haven't changed it there yet then still use your maiden name on your tax return.  Doesn't matter if you are filing Joint or Separately.
klbolTT

Hi,

I have a follow up question for the original post. I am changing my name with Social Security but am keeping my maiden name professionally for work. My W2 will have my maiden name from my work payroll, but my Social Security will have my married name. Will this be a problem?

Carl
Level 15

It "could" be a problem, but not necessarily with the IRS. When you go to get a loan (such as a mortgage) things are going to look "fishy" to a loan officer. Your tax return has one last name on it. Your W-2's and work records have another last name on it. Has the potential to "raise eyebrows" with questions like, "are you omitting some kind of identity theft?, are you really a legal citizen of this country? If not a citizen, are you here legally?" among other things.

"My W2 will have my maiden name from my work payroll,"

That will raise questions with both the IRS and social security down the road. Particularly when you go to apply for benefits. The first flag that will pop up will be the fraud flag. Be it retirement benefits at retirement age, or disability benefits if needed, before retiring. Medical records and obtaining medical care can post a whole new set of problems that have nothing to do with taxes. Especially if you are insured through your employer. More so if after 2025 the newly elected administration once again "forces" you to have health coverage.

I could keep going here as a lot keeps coming to mind. But I think you get the point.

Thanks for this answer!  Helped me figure that one out. haha

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

You need to file your tax return using the name that agrees to what is reported to SSA; otherwise, your return will be rejected by the IRS (if you e-file your return.) It's up to your former employer to make any changes to the W-2. 

@heathermcfarland

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My SS last name is hyphenated. My W-2 from my last job used both names so j got one w2 with the hyphenated name. I started a new job this year and they just used the first of the hyphenated names (the one I go by). Does that matter? We submitted our taxes and they were accepted but not sure if this could raise an issue later? I used my legal, hyphenated name on the tax return. 

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

It may raise an issue later, but as long as your Social Security Number is correct, you should be able to file your return with this W-2.  

The IRS uses Social Security Numbers to manage and process supporting tax forms such as W-2s and 1099s. Spelling errors or name issues such as yours, will only create an issue when you e-file your return.  Since your return was accepted, it must not be an issue.

You might want to ask your employer to correct your last name in the system so you don't have any problems in the future.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

We did e-file and it was accepted within half an hour so I assume it's a non issue this year. I did send an e mail to our HR department to try and fix it so next year I stress less. Thank you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies