turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Tax return keeps getting rejected with "IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database."

IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

I think my spouse's entries from last year are not matching as we had filled 2017 returns using her ITIN and this year we are using her SSN. 

Please help ASAP. I've tried multiple times and I am not sure how to fix this and move past this issue.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

My Tax return keeps getting rejected with "IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database."

Here is a TurboTax FAQ that has more information about what causes this reject and what you can do to fix it.  

But to save you some time reading, you may want to try entering 0 for your spouse's AGI.  This generally does the trick when an ITIN has changed to an SSN from one year to the next.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6079524

Actually you should only enter 0 if you didn't file the year before as written in the link you provided. 

If you did file the year before but switching from ITIN to SSN, you should print out and file by mail I believe. 

Did you resolve this issue? I am in the same situation and want to know how you resolved this issue for filing the tax return? 

This error refers to the spouse's AGI for the previous year.  Putting zero for the spouse's AGI will normally resolve error IND-032-04.

Here is an article from TurboTax about the IND-032-04 error.

everything in my account is done and ready.jus need someone to accept it and direct deposit it maybe.idk.but i know it all filled

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Once you submit your return, it takes about 24-48 hours for the IRS to either accept or reject it.  Due to the late filing season, and a backlog of returns, the average wait time could be longer this year.

Once accepted, the IRS issues most refunds in about 21 days.  Refer to the following Help Article for more information:  When will I get my IRS tax refund?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you are filing jointly, are certain you entered the correct AGI, and keep getting rejected, you are most likely the victim of the infamous TT Filed Jointly Wrong API bug. TT will probably tell you to file a paper copy and claim this is an IRS issue. It is not. The bug is in TT, and they refuse to acknowledge it. 

This happened to me last year. I was expexting a large refund and didn't want the long wait you get when filing by snail mail. On a whim, I tried FreeTaxUSA. To my surprise, my return (same info, same AGI) was accepted within minutes and my refund arrived quickly. Many others with rejected TT returns did the same and had the same happy experience.

I am not affiliated with FreeTaxUSA in any way; I'm just a person who wants my refund as soon as I can get it and can't stand BS!

Oh, and by the way, I heard of a few people who entered 0 for their AGI and were accepted, but this didn't work for me and most others. 

stokes13677
Returning Member

Bad advice form MaryM428.  Didn't work for me.  Suspect it works in very few, not-so-'normal' cases.

Best answer is from dianalarose, ‎February 15, 2021 12:48 PM

stokes13677
Returning Member

stokes13677
Returning Member

This is the best answer.

So frustrated with TT. Getting the same error ""IND-032-04" on multiple attempts after "resolving" the issue in TT and manually verifying the info based on my 2019 TT PDF.

I also tried (as suggested by others) to create an IRS IP PIN and add that to the return on the 1040 form for both myself and wife. No luck.

This is the first year (in 12) that I have had errors submitting a joint return with TT. I primarily use it so I can file a complexed return electronically and get my refund faster. If I cant get this to work and have to mail it in, it will be the last year I use TT.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support: What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Bellingham Bill

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
raj15

Please confirm if AGI = 0 for Spouse is working. 

raj15

Thanks This works and state and federal Accepted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies