turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 14039 not Final?

Can't e-file as above form NOT updated yet? I signed up for email alert when available and was notified but update is not ... well ... updating. Did this several times over past week. I want to e file as my 2020 AGI is WAY down from 2019 (disqualifying me from any further stimulus check). 

1. can I file form 14039 by mail and e-file my returns?

2. What is ramification of deleting form 14039 on IRS if I have already filed report with FCC and frozen all my credit files?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies

Form 14039 not Final?

You have to print and mail your 14039 since TurboTax does not support e-filing the form.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Form 14039 not Final?

According to the instructions for Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit, you can submit by either mail or FAX.  You'll need to print and mail or FAX Form 14039, since there is not e-file support for the form.  See the link above for the address and FAX number.

If you don't file Form 14039, you won't put the IRS on notice that your Social Security number has been compromised.  See the IRS's Identity Theft Information for Taxpayers for more information.

Form 14039 not Final?

I have this same issue where I received email from TurboTax that form 14039 was ready but after updating software and updating forms final check still states that form is not available.  So I understand that I need to print out paper form and submit form 14039 by mail or fax since TurboTax isn't setup to do this. (so glad I paid for TT)  But the question still unanswered is can I e-file the remainder of my tax forms and tax return through TurboTax or do I need to mail those forms as well, and if I can e-file how do I get around this Smart Check or can I ignore and go directly to File tab to file other forms? 

Form 14039 not Final?

The instructions for submission are on the bottom of the form.

See https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf

bz2bjc01

Form 14039 not Final?

We know that.  Turbo-Tax states we have to print out form 14039 because it cannot be sent with the eFile.  BUT it keeps telling us the "final version" of 14039 is not available yet.  I also received the email stating the final version has been release and to launch my software to grab the update.  Problem is the software does NOT find an update to apply.  You cannot get out of the Final Review because it keeps saying Form 14039 final version has not been received.  You can't even PRINT the return, let alone attemp to eFile because it will not go that far.

Intuit needs to fix this issue.

Form 14039 not Final?

@bz2bjc01 wrote:

Intuit needs to fix this issue.

I am sure they will do so in an update.

Clearly there is a disconnect between the forms availability list and the program.

ht11502
Returning Member

Form 14039 not Final?

The printout, after updating the software,  14039 is stamped "DO NOT FILE" , "FORM NOT FINAL".  So we can't even file by mail ?!

Any other alternative?

ht11502
Returning Member

Form 14039 not Final?

Can't even file by MAIL.  The printout is stamped "DO NOT FILE', "FORM NOT FINAL"  !!  If no other alternative, this needs to be fixed !

Form 14039 not Final?

@ht11502 wrote:

Can't even file by MAIL.  The printout is stamped "DO NOT FILE', "FORM NOT FINAL"  !!  If no other alternative, this needs to be fixed !

Go to the IRS website to complete, print and file the Form 14039 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf

ht11502
Returning Member

Form 14039 not Final?

THANK YOU.  Just completed.....hope it's accepted.

Form 14039 not Final?

I have printed off IRS form 14039.  I understand I need to mail or FAX it in.  Why can't I efile my taxes?  What is the holdup?  If you are a victim of identity fraud, you need to file as soon as possible.  This is BS TurboTax.  Get this fixed.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Form 14039 not Final?

Yes, if you are a victim of identity theft, you do need to file as soon as possible.

The reason you cannot e-file until this is straightened out is another layer of protection for you. If you cannot e-file with that social security number, no one else can, either. The IRS accepts a social security number once per tax year.*

By mailing in the return, you can provide more information so they know your social security number is yours and does not belong to anyone else.

For more information and TurboTax support, see: 

What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft

What is Full Identity Restoration?

*(unless you indicate that someone else can claim you as a dependent on someone else's return. Both you and the person claiming you as a dependent would identify this.)

@Luna16

Form 14039 not Final?

Thanks for your response.  So do I need to mail in my return as welI?  

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Form 14039 not Final?

Once your identity is verified with the IRS and you have received an IP PIN and added it to your return, you could still e-file. See: How do I get my 6-digit IP PIN?

To add the IP PIN in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Inside TurboTax, search for IP PIN (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  2. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN in the space provided.

@Luna16

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies