turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rjc228
Returning Member

Form 1040 vs 1040SR

I want to use Form 1040, NOT 1040SR. I am over 65 and expect to itemize. IRS says it is optional, but TT will not let me chose 1040 for Printing. 

How do I "force" TT to let me choose?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Form 1040 vs 1040SR

Why do you think you cannot itemize using the 1040SR?  The 1040SR just has larger print for seniors to make it easier to read.  Your tax calculations will be the same and you can itemize whether you use Form 1040 or 1040SR.

Your issue with itemizing might just be that it is very difficult for many people to itemize now that the standard deductions are higher, and if you are 65 or older, your standard deduction is even higher.

Many taxpayers are surprised now because their itemized deductions are not having the same effect as they did on past tax returns.  The new higher standard deduction and the elimination of certain deductions, as well as the cap on state and local taxes have had a major impact since the new tax laws went into effect beginning with 2018 returns.

Your itemized deductions have to be more than your standard deduction before you will see a change in your tax owed or tax refund.  The deductions you enter do not necessarily count “dollar for dollar;” many of them are subject to meeting  tough thresholds—medical expenses, for example, must meet a threshold that is pretty hard to reach.  The software program uses all the IRS rules that apply to the expenses you enter, and it tells you if you have enough to use your itemized deductions or if using the standard deduction is more advantageous for you.  Under the new tax laws, some deductions have been capped—there is a $10,000 limit to the itemized deductions for state, local, property and sales taxes.

2019 Standard Deduction Amounts

Single $12,200   (+ $1650 65 or older)

Married Filing Separate  $12,200   (+ $1300 if 65 or older)

Married Filing Jointly $24,400   (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older)

Head of Household $18,350  (+ $1650 for 65 or older)

(Also + $1650 if legally blind)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Form 1040 vs 1040SR

Look at line 9 of the Form 1040SR  -- do you see that you can enter Schedule A if you have enough itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction?

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s.pdf

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Form 1040 vs 1040SR

Enter all your numbers (real estate tax, medical, charitable contributions, etc.). TurboTax will automatically itemize if it's beneficial. No need to choose.

Separate issue: if you don't like the 1040SR (I don't either) go to info worksheet; Part II bottom, and check no so it will print a regular 1040.

hope that helps! : )

Form 1040 vs 1040SR

Thank you denise14107 for simply answering the question - without asking more questions.

Info Wks. Bottom of Part II.  Check "No".   DONE.

Why can't other people answer the questions and THEN offer their commentary.

Microsoft is famous for this.  If you have a question about ANY Microsoft product, you had better not seek your answer from their website.  You always get questions and non-answers when the question was simple and the answer is too.  This just happened here.  The person who first answered must be from Microsoft.

Form 1040 vs 1040SR

Thanks for this very straightforward answer!  Although I can use 1040-SR, I used 1040 last year and just want an apples-to-apples form this year.

Form 1040 vs 1040SR

Hi,

Just seeing this!

awww....gee thanks : )

I know what you mean about Microsoft!

you're welcome : )

Form 1040 vs 1040SR

Another useless TurboTax default!  The default should be a "normal" form.

Form 1040 vs 1040SR

The 1040SR is the same as the regular 1040 just larger type and the Standard Deduction chart is added to the bottom of page 1. But it has the same line numbers. You automatically get the SR if you or your spouse is 65 or older. In the Online version you can print your return and copy the amounts into a 1040 from the 1040SR.

If you are using the Desktop program there is a way to force the one you want, switch to Forms and the Info Wks part II has a selection for 1040 or 1040SR. If you look at it in Forms Mode it shows the 1040 but if you print it out it will be the 1040SR.

Even the regular 2019 1040 return is now different than 2018. They changed the line numbers again and reduced the schedules from 6 to 3.

You can compare them,
2018 1040 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040--2018.pdf
2019 1040 https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf
2019 1040SR https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies