turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cuomo1
Returning Member

Filing prior years without pin

Hello

Both my 2019 and 2020 filings were rejected due to not having pins. I would like to correct them now, but am unable to without a PIN.

Is there a workaround for this? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Cuomo1 - 

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-identity-protect...

Q11: Do I have to use the IP PIN I received this year if filing prior year returns this year?

A11: Yes. You must use this IP PIN to confirm your identity on your current tax return and any prior year returns filed during the calendar year.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Which type of PIN are you referring to?  The 5 digit self-selected PIN for e-filing a tax return can be any 5 digit number.  However, the 2018 AGI must be entered on the 2019 return and the 2019 AGI must be entered on the 2020 tax return.

If you are referring the 6 digit Identity Protection PIN that you received from the IRS each year due to reporting Identity Theft to the IRS, that IP PIN must be entered on each tax return whether e-filing or mailing.

Cuomo1
Returning Member

The IP PIN that we receive each year. I never got mine for those two years. 

if you don't have the 6 digit PIN, you can go to the IRS website to get the most current PIN.  Without that PIN you can not efile. 

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin

While it is best to use the 6 digit PIN on a paper filed return, it is not a requirement.  If you were issued one and don't enter it on the paper return, it will slow down the processing as it will undergo additional scrutiny. 

Cuomo1
Returning Member

Ok I have this years but I can't use it for previous is my understanding. So I need to file paper correct? Unless I can call the number on the website to retrieve the pin? 

@Cuomo1 - 

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/frequently-asked-questions-about-the-identity-protect...

Q11: Do I have to use the IP PIN I received this year if filing prior year returns this year?

A11: Yes. You must use this IP PIN to confirm your identity on your current tax return and any prior year returns filed during the calendar year.

......In either case, you cannot E-File the 2019 or 2020 tax returns.   

Even with the proper IP-PIN entered, the 2019 and 2020 tax returns must be printed and mail-filed by you (Separate envelopes).  Only 2021 taxes can be e-filed thru mid-October.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies