Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

axescot1
Returning Member

file taxes for free

Where can I file my taxes for free if I have both rental and business income? I used to use credit karma tax but they seem to be lagging after Cash App acquired them. I don't believe in paying for it since I could just mail it in... sorry intuit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

file taxes for free

You can try the software on the IRS Free File site and see if any of them work for you.   You definitely cannot use the TurboTax Free Edition for the kinds of income you mentioned.

Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
axescot1
Returning Member

file taxes for free

But I need to file state too. California. Cash App says it will be ready late Feb. but I would just like to get this done, both federal and state.

file taxes for free

@axescot1 You asked how to file for free.   We are here to help with questions about TurboTax software and help with general income tax questions.   If you do not want to pay to use the version of TurboTax that will meet your needs then you are going to have to do some homework  yourself to find a free software program that will also provide state software to you.   Or prepare your federal return using software and use your state's web site to prepare the state.  Or get the state forms and prepare them by hand.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
axescot1
Returning Member

file taxes for free

I already have them prepared. They're ready to go. I just need to file. If we can paper file for free then we should be able to efile for free too.

file taxes for free

Not sure what you did to prepare the returns --- but you will not be able to e-file a return with rental income on it for free with this software program.   Hope you find some program that works for you.  Good luck.

axescot1
Returning Member

file taxes for free

By the way I marked my question as "Not a product question" which Intuit has made available to the users of this forum. And filing (whether it's efile or paper file) counts as part of the "general income tax questions". You don't need to get snippy. If you didn't like my post you could have just moved on. You're wasting valuable forum space with your negativity.

axescot1
Returning Member

file taxes for free

Does anybody have worthwhile answer to this?

file taxes for free

@axescot1 wrote:

Does anybody have worthwhile answer to this?

You can use the TurboTax Free online edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

The TurboTax Free online edition is for very simple tax returns that do not require any other form or schedule other than the Form 1040.  If your tax data requires entry on any other form or schedule then you must upgrade to the Deluxe edition or higher.

Go to this IRS website for other providers who offer Free filing - https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/browse-all-offers/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies