Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Federal Form 2210, Part IV

Chondel,

I appreciate that someone from TurboTax is finally responding to this issue; however, the answer you gave about deleting the form and letting the IRS calculate your penalty as a workaround to your programming errors in Form 2210 should be rescinded immediately. Or, at the very least, modified extensively.

I will agree you that, if a client has a penalty on Form 2210 based on the IRS’s default calculation, and, if that same client is unable to avail themselves of any of the exceptions noted under Part II (like exception C or D), then yes, deleting the form and letting the IRS calculate will yield the same result as if the taxpayer calculated the penalty themselves.  However, for a taxpayer who has a penalty based on the IRS’s default calculation but can avail themselves of exceptions C or D to mitigate or eliminate the penalty completely, your advice of “everything will be fine if you just delete the form and let the IRS do the calculation” is akin to throwing the taxpayer under the bus.  In this instance, your advice would actually compound the problem that has arose from your programming errors.  For example, if you want the IRS to use exception C, “Annualized Income Installment Method”, to mitigate or eliminate your penalty, you must file Form 2210 and tell them that.  Likewise, for exception D (and maybe A, B & E).  If you delete Form 2210 and let the IRS do the calculation, how in the world would the IRS know you want to use exception C.  And even if by some miracle they figured that out, where would they get the income data to do annualization calculation.  No, if you want to use exception C or D, you must file Form 2210, indicate which exception you want the IRS to use, and then provide them with the raw data to do the alternate penalty calculation.  If the taxpayer just deletes Form 2210 as you are telling them to, the IRS will only do the default calculation and then send the taxpayer a penalty due notice.  And that penalty due notice the taxpayer receives may be entirely the result of your programming errors and your “delete form” advice.

Your advice to taxpayers using one the exceptions under Part II should be something like this.

Do not file your tax return at the present time.  You must file Form 2210 to have the IRS implement the exception you checked under Part II; however, Form 2210 currently has some programming errors that result incorrect numbers being shown in Part IV, Columns (c) & (d), Lines 20 through 26.  We will advise you when the programming errors have been corrected.

I know the IRS was late in releasing Form 2210.  Based on discussions I was following in your various forums, it seemed that it was the last form many people needed before they e-filed.  How many of your customers actually use Form 2210?  Since you have millions of customers, I assume that number is in the thousands, probably the tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands.  Then on February 26 TurboTax released the Form.  Unfortunately, the form was released with programming errors.  And, most unfortunately, those programming errors do not show up when a customer runs the “error check” within the TurboTax software.  So, what do you think all the people that were waiting for this form started doing?  My guess would be they opened up their return, made sure all of their necessary forms were ready, maybe had the TurboTax software do a final review, and then ultimately had the software do a final “error check”.  The error check says the return is clean, no errors, and they are ready to e-file.  I’m guessing that thousands of your customers that use Form 2210 began e-filing.  But wait.  On the same day you released the form, you were told there was a programming error in Part IV.  I told you.  Part IV doesn’t even foot properly.  Job number 760861 on February 26.  I don’t know, maybe the next day you could have pulled Form 2210 back off and said it’s not ready yet while you corrected the issue and therefore limited the carnage of thousands of people filing with incorrect data.  But you did not.  Maybe you could have fast tracked a programming change to correct the issue and, at least, tried to limit the amount of customer returns being filed with wildly incorrect data in Part IV.  But you did not.  It’s now a week later and we are still talking about this.  TurboTax seems to care not one whit about thousands of their customers filing returns with bad data due to their programming errors.

Or maybe you do care.  Maybe a TurboTax employee is currently working on some kind of statement that will be sent out to all your customers.  Maybe something like the following:

Dear Customer,

We need to alert all of you to a programming error that occurred in Form 2210.  The error has now been fixed; however, anyone that filed a tax return between February 26 and (date of fix) and also filed Form 2210 as part of the return may have incorrect numbers in Part IV, Columns (c) & (d), Lines 20 through 26 of that form.  The IRS might assess you a penalty based on those incorrect numbers.  If that happens, TurboTax will assist you in your penalty dispute.  We have prepared a description of the programming error that occurred that you can include in any penalty response you need to send to the IRS.  Our CPA’s can assist you in recalculating the appropriate penalty where our errors may have inflated the penalty you need to pay.  And so on and so forth.

I see there was another update to my TurboTax today and this issue was still not fixed.  It’s now been a week since this error was reported and there is still no fix in sight.  If it is not fixed on Friday, I intend to e-mail the officers I listed above on Saturday.  Their e-mail addresses are on your corporate website.  I would certainly hope you or some other system person who may be following this thread has alerted your systems officers of what is going to happen here.  Taking this issue to a higher level is about the only thing I do have control over.  Evidently, systems does not have a lot concern us customers.  All you need to do is read through this thread to understand that.  They don’t care about thousands of us filing bad returns.  And they are never going to answer us and own up their mistakes.  Maybe, just maybe, it will be different when they have to explain themselves to corporate officers, their bosses.  One can only hope.

The job number that was initiated on February 26 regarding this issue that I cited in my previous post was incorrect.  I typed in job number 760861.  The correct job number is 760261.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

The original post did not state that you should send in the return without Form 2210 but rather offered it as an alternative.  You may wait until the issue currently affecting Form 2210 is resolved, and then submit your tax return.

@Thomas S

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Michelle,

Both Chondel and Nashay posts essentially say the same thing.  "Taxpayers can continue to e-file with the option of deleting the form and allowing the IRS to calculate any underpayment penalty for you".  I think most people would look at that statement and think "well ok, TurboTax is saying that if I just delete the form and e-file, everything will still be fine".  We have already established that things will not be fine if they are using any of the exceptions enumerated under Part II.  Now I understand that you are not telling them that they should file this way.  However, don't you believe a clearer, simpler statement that has less of a chance of being misunderstood would be:

For Taxpayers not using any of the exceptions listed under Form 2210, Part II, you can continue to e-file with the option of deleting the form and allowing the IRS to calculate any underpayment penalty for you.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@Thomas S Thank you for your suggestion, as we do wish to help TurboTax customers to have a great experience.  With so many changes to tax law and forms, we have had more challenges than most years, particularly with Forms that the IRS has delayed.  We appreciate your patience with us, and thank you for your feedback to assist you and other customers as well.

Suppose a taxpayer filed on 2/27/2021 and paid an underpayment penalty of $500 solely because the TT Form 2210 Part IV program did not consider the first period's overpayment. It is my understanding the the IRS's computer performs certain checks on ever return filed. Would this check identify the error in the taxpayer's return and the computer send the taxpayer a check that negates the penalty he paid when filing?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Possibly, but I suggest you file form 843 to request that overpayment be refunded. 

IRS Form 843

TT has still not "fixed" form 2210 Part IV!  I have an overpayment of estimated taxes in period 1 that does not carry over to the second tax period.  I always paper file on principle!  I can fix this problem by editing line 26 of column (b) and printing my return.   Without this correction, form 2210 shows an underpayment of estimated taxes in column (c).  No penalty is calculated, however, because the Form 2210 underpayment penalty worksheet correctly address situation!

To compound my frustration with TT, H&R Block 2020 correctly completes form 2210.  Also form SC2210, which is similar to the federal form, is filled out correctly!

skm1
Level 2

I have been ready to file, waited on Form 2210, and now it's got errors and I have a penalty of $10, it should be zero. If I file anyway, will Turbotax refund me the purchase price of TT and state filing as stated in their guarantee? IRS has just extended filing date to May 17. I do not want TT to take an extra month to fix this!

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please click here to sign up for an email once the error is resolved. 

Turbo Tax would not refund you if you filed prior to this form being fixed. You should wait until the form is final before filing. 

skm1
Level 2

So you are not standing behind your guarantee? I run the error check with no issues. As others have said, many likely just filed without looking closely at the form once you released it. Are they entitled to your guarantee? It seems if form is wrong, you need to put a hold on filing until the form is fixed as you did before form was ready. Otherwise stand by your guarantee. 

Here's what's listed in the program: 

Your taxes done right, guaranteed

Maximum refund guarantee or your money back

If you get a larger refund or smaller tax due from another tax preparation method, we'll refund the applicable TurboTax federal and/or state purchase price paid. Federal Free Edition customers are entitled to payment of $14.99 and a refund of your state purchase price paid.

100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee

If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we'll pay you the penalty and interest.

Anyone know if HRBlock or other tax software can import previous year's Turbotax files?

I have been a loyal customer of Turbotax for many, many years, but this one is changing my opinion of value for money. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We are unable to access your return or account here in this public forum. 

Please click here to speak with customer support. 

I've used only TT for the last 35 years but I've read that the TT tax file can be read by all the other major tax preparation software companies.

Form 2210 Part IV appears to be fixed now.  At least my return is now showing the correct numbers on lines 20-26.

Thanks Thomas. It is working. TT said that they would send me an email when it was fixed. It has not been received yet. Did you get an email notification?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies