Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Fails to EFile without update

Why does completed return fail to EFile ?

I receive prompt to update program, yet all updates are installed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

33 Replies

Same Problem

Getting the same problem here!!!

I uninstalled Turbo Tax and reinstalled it, and it transmitted fine

Just tried that and it failed the same way, but thanks for the idea!

If you are using WIN 10 then close the program and reboot a couple of times to let hiding WIN updates install ... then try the program again starting with updates. 

same problem

I am getting the same message yet all updates have been completed.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

This is a known issue.  When attempting to e-file a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software, this message appears:

There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you’ll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates.

However, after updating, the same message continues to reappear, resulting in an endless loop.

Workaround

Some customers have been able to successfully e-file with this workaround:

1. Follow the steps in the article Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows updating issues.
  2. Now try e-filing again. If that didn't work, first uninstall and then reinstall your TurboTax program.
  3. Finally, if you're still unable to e-file after following the above steps, you can either sign up to be notified by email when a fix has been released, or you can file a conventional paper return.

This question was previously answered by DawnC

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

uninstall and then reinstall your TurboTax program is not a good solution to recommend.

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

We apologize for any inconvenience this experience has caused and we are working diligently to help the returns get filed. Please see this FAQ link here that you can click on to receive an update once this has been corrected. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. 

I have reinstalled TurboTax twice on my main system, and have all the Windows 10n Updates installed. I installed TurboTax on my secondary laptop and still have problems on both. 

Three days ago I tried just tried filing the Federal taxes which worked fine, I tried just doing just the New York State and got into the same loop  as before. From this I would suggest the problem is in the NYS code, it looks like the update check is broken since there are no updates available to install.

Also the suggestion to file paper copies is no good for NYS which only accepts e filing.

I'm trying to get E-file update on my return, irs.gov. after submitting, SSN, filling status, and amount. I keep receiving error status. Why?

Common guys, just be patient, these are initial crazy days, in a week or so, everything will be back to normal 👍

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

It takes a while for the IRS to update their website, in the meantime you can check the status of your return in TurboTax.    When you log into your TurboTax Online account, your filing status should be displayed on your homepage.

You can also use our e-file status lookup tool to get your current status. 

@Wwilson1959

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies