turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Update is necessary before transmitting return

When I select "Transmit Returns Now", after thinking a few seconds it returns a popup that says "There is an update available for your version of TurboTax.  Before you can file electronically, you'll need to get this update.  To do this, go to the online menu and select Check For Updates."

Before I started my return today, I did the updates.  When I go to the online menu and select "Check for Updates", it tells me "Your software is up to date."  But then when I select "Transmit Returns Now", it gives me the same message as above ("There is an update available...").  I'm caught in a circle.  Can you help?  I've already paid on-line for my state tax return.  I'm using TurboTax Home and Business.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

66 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

This is a known issue.  When attempting to e-file a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software, this message appears:

There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you’ll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates.

However, after updating, the same message continues to reappear, resulting in an endless loop.

Workaround

Some customers have been able to successfully e-file with this workaround:

1. Follow the steps in the article Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows updating issues.
  2. Now try e-filing again. If that didn't work, first uninstall and then reinstall your TurboTax program.
  3. Finally, if you're still unable to e-file after following the above steps, you can either sign up to be notified by email when a fix has been released, or you can file a conventional paper return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Dawn,

I uninstalled and reinstalled TurboTax but that didn't help.  I still get the circular reference and cannot transmit returns. 

I tried to transmit the Federal return separately and that worked.  However, when I tried to transmit the Massachusetts state return, that came back with the message about needing to be updated.  So apparently there is some issue with not being able to transmit the Massachusetts return.

Does this lend any additional perspective to the potential solution?  Do you recommend that I just send the MA state return via mail, or should I wait for a possible solution?  I have already paid the $19.99 plus tax to file my MA return electronically.

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Tom

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You should wait as your state error should go away once your federal return is accepted.  If you e-file your federal and state separately, you won't be able to file the state until the federal is accepted.  

How do I e-file my state after I already filed my federal?

Hi Dawn,

My federal return was accepted.  I attempted to transmit my state return but am encountering the same issue.  Any further suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Work around did not work for me...... What is the ETA on this fix?

I love how we get charged for a state transfer that isnt even working (Massachusetts again), unreal.

js26
Level 1

does not work, says update is not for my version of turbo tax

I am having the same issue.

Tried manual updating as suggested.  The update worked successfully, however still unable to Transmit State return.

I have Transmitted Federal return alone, and it worked fine as was accepted by the IRS.

Tried again to Transmit just the State and still getting the circular loop.  This is very annoying. 

I have paid for the State Transmittal, and unable to actually Transmit electronically (e-file)

Options and Expectations;

1.) Intuit will provide a software solution and inform this Support chain (or Support forum) with a Target Date of when it will be available.

2.) Intuit will provide a refund for the cost for State efile, and notify how to request and obtain the refund/ Credit Card charge reversal.

jon55tax

I'm getting the circular error for my Michigan state return .     How do I get this fixed?  OR How do I get a refund of my $19.99 ( credit to my CC)

Jon55tax

jon55tax

It will not allow me to submit only my Federal return, I keep getting the same error. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Please check the updated link, State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to Install your sta..., to see if it helps with your problem. 

If you continue to have problems, please click on the Contact Us form https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/. We’ll help you connect with the right expert for your specific problem.

@TerukoL; The solution you linked to did not work. 

I'll save others the hassle and brief it here;

... download and install a state cleanup, which I did and still did not work after removing my state.

... uninstall and re-install turbotax, which I did and still did not work.

... a link to Selective Startup Mode, to change Windows settings, and again uninstall and re-install turbo tax.  I have not tried this, so if anyone has success with Selective Startup Mode please comment on this link. 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The next option will be to contact customer support. They are able to troubleshoot with you step by step until you reach a solution.

Please contact them by following the instructions below.       

Contact Customer Support 

caq54

This just happened to me with TT Deluxe 2019. I use Windows 10. Returns would not transmit. It kept saying it needed an update, but checking for updates said TT was already updated. Researching online brought up the suggestion to do a manual TT update for Windows. I searched, downloaded and installed the update and my returns finally transmitted. Give it a try.

P.S. I did not uninstall/reinstall TT. I just downloaded and installed the update.

P.P.S.  Illinois return also submitted successfully.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies