Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Email says Forms are available but Turbo Tax will not update

I have not been able to e-file my federal or NY State return because the following forms were not yet available:

Schedule A (Form 1040) - Federal

IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return - NY

IT-201 Page 3-4, Resident Income Tax Return - NY

I signed up for email notifications for when they would be available, and just received the notification but when I open TurboTax it tells me it needs to update before e-filing but if I check updates I receive a message that says my TurboTax is up to date.

I've tried turning off the computer, uninstalling and reinstalling the program, and even downloading the manual update but none of that works.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

There is another link to sign up for notifications on the update issue.  It is a separate issue from the forms being ready.  You have pretty much done all of the steps below, but go ahead and click on the sign-up link for this issue.  It is being worked on as I type.  

When attempting to e-file a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software, this message appears:

There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you’ll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates.

However, after updating, the same message continues to reappear, resulting in an endless loop.

Workaround

Some customers have been able to successfully e-file with this workaround:

1. Follow the steps in the article Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows updating issues.
  2. Now try e-filing again. If that didn't work, first uninstall and then reinstall your TurboTax program.
  3. Finally, if you're still unable to e-file after following the above steps, you can either sign up to be notified by email when a fix has been released, or you can file a conventional paper return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

26 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

There is another link to sign up for notifications on the update issue.  It is a separate issue from the forms being ready.  You have pretty much done all of the steps below, but go ahead and click on the sign-up link for this issue.  It is being worked on as I type.  

When attempting to e-file a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software, this message appears:

There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you’ll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates.

However, after updating, the same message continues to reappear, resulting in an endless loop.

Workaround

Some customers have been able to successfully e-file with this workaround:

1. Follow the steps in the article Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows updating issues.
  2. Now try e-filing again. If that didn't work, first uninstall and then reinstall your TurboTax program.
  3. Finally, if you're still unable to e-file after following the above steps, you can either sign up to be notified by email when a fix has been released, or you can file a conventional paper return.

I too received an email that my forms are available, and the TurboTax site shows they are available as well.  however, when I click on the "Online - Check for Updates" it states I am updated.  I go to the Forms manually, and it states DO NOT FILE because it is not updated.   The lists you have are not relevant, it has nothing to do with Windows or the computer, I feel TurboTax is not programmed correctly this time.   I have Windows 7, and it should not be the issue.  What are the other choices?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

There are still forms that are currently being updated in TurboTax this weekend.  What forms are showing as 'not ready'?  And have you tried doing a manual update? 

If you can't update your TurboTax for Windows software using the normal update method, you can download and install a manual update. This is an executable file that can be downloaded locally or onto a removable device for transfer to another computer.  Manual updates are available for TurboTax for Windows federal CD/Download software products. They're not available for the Mac or TurboTax State programs, nor will they convert an older version of TurboTax to the current version.

See the Related Information section for more info.

Related Information:

1040A is a frequently used form and its been giving the same error for weeks even after reinstalling?

TurboTax Home and Business 2019 - 2019 For (3).jpg

Does this mean the 1040A will be available on 3/22 just a few days before the deadline ?

Tax Year 2019 Modernized e-File Schemas and Busine (1).jpg

additionally the 1040A form has been discontinued since 2018 not sure why it is appearing the 2019 Home & Business version even after manually deleting the form and running multiple Check for Updates and reinstalls ?

@wisekutta wrote:

additionally the 1040A form has been discontinued since 2018 not sure why it is appearing the 2019 Home & Business version even after manually deleting the form and running multiple Check for Updates and reinstalls ?

That is NOT a 1040A.   That is a *Schedule A* for itemized deductions.

The  Schedule A has been available for weeks.  Your software is out of date.  If it will not update then you need to apply a manual update.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/what-is-a-manual-update/01/26074

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

thanks however getting this error in installing the w_perrelsuperpatch_ttax_2019.201.0102.exe patch?

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Bas.jpg

Sorry, I am a Mac person, can not really tell you about that.  Suggest you call customer support tomorrow,

There is no single published number because it changes contently depending on the nature of the call and agent availability. Following the link below will either give a current number for you to call or take your number for a callback.

Here is a TurboTax FAQ for contacting customer support.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I discovered that if you purchased your TurboxTax anywhere except from TurboTax or Large Retail for download, there is a copy being sold online that was made early last year and doesn't have the capability of looking for items, and possibly are bogus even though you will receive a reply from TurboTax stating the forms are ready.  You must purchase a new copy or speak to TurboTax--remove your original, and replace it, it will be perfect.  Wish the prices were lower so people would fall for the fake ones that seem to work, but are incapable of getting to the end!

@ruthydavis wrote:

I discovered that if you purchased your TurboxTax anywhere except from TurboTax or Large Retail for download, there is a copy being sold online that was made early last year and doesn't have the capability of looking for items, and possibly are bogus even though you will receive a reply from TurboTax stating the forms are ready.  You must purchase a new copy or speak to TurboTax--remove your original, and replace it, it will be perfect.  Wish the prices were lower so people would fall for the fake ones that seem to work, but are incapable of getting to the end!

I hadn't heard that but do not doubt it.   Many of the "bootleg software" sites are in China or Eastern Block countries hiding behind what looks like local US address and ISP's, so they are difficult to shut down.   Many times the bogus software also contains malware to invade your computer send all of your tax and other computer information back to steal your identity.

DCosenza
Returning Member

I have tried EVERY FIX for this issue!!! Uninstall, reinstall, manual update, redownload state.....NOTHING works. And this is CRAZY!! It's the middle of March and Intuit hasn't released an honest-to-goodness fix for this????!!!!

u

GET ON THE STICK INTUIT.

Does anyone have a solution or more information? Please?

btw...remember if you are thinking of filing an extension (I am) that the IRS considers it an extension to FILE (the forms) and NOT an extension to PAY your taxes. If you know you have a refund coming, file an extension.....although I don't see Intuit fixing this AFTER tax season if they're doing nothing about it now. ARGH!

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@DCosenza please contact our phone support team for further troubleshooting.  Refer to the following TurboTax FAQ for the contact number:  What is the TurboTax phone number? - Community

zzjohn

I have the same problem and it is October 2020. Was there ever a real solution? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies