turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

efile problem cannot pay state tax bill by credit card then e-file

Hello,

I finished my returns and chose to e-file. I needed to pay a state tax bill.

Before the payment method page came up in the program, turbo tax inserted an information page for my state with multiple methods to pay, including a credit card option.

I chose to pay by credit card, and completed the transaction.  I then went to the next page, which gave me two options to pay my tax due, either pay by debiting a bank account or sending a check. Since I  paid by card I had no payment option. After trying to complete the filing several times in another way and failing I ended up choosing the box saying I will pay by check. 

This is an irritating problem; my state gives me a payment option the program does not. At this point will my credit card payment be accepted and applied to my return, or will I get in trouble because the program made me choose an option I did not need to pay my bill.

This is a major problem in Turbotax. If a state has options the program does not allow taxpayers have a problem, meaning turbotax has a problem, especially since users pay a large fee to efile state returns. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

32 Replies

If you are using the Desktop program there is a 24.99 fee to efile the state.  I think that's what you used the credit card for first.  Then  to pay the tax due saying you will mail a check was probably right.  Then you can pay directly on your state's website if you want.   Most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-fo...

Volvo,

Thank you for the reply. The problem with the program is that you cannot e-file a return unless you choose the option turbotax wants you to use. so you cannot use a credit card to pay for efile if you cannot get to that screen!  

So now I have a receipt for my credit card payment for my tax bill,  and the program I use to file my return says I am paying a check. Please remember that we are talking about a government bureaucracy now, and all it takes is a problem when my return is accepted and suddenly I'm getting charged tons of late fees starting 4/15 because my state tax department sees no check and does not see my credit card payment.  

Then of course the state waits six months before telling me of the problem, and I'm paying hundreds of dollars because Turbo tax threw a wrench into the system.

I don't think you could pay the state tax due by credit card.  Did you have a tax due for federal?  Check your credit card,

Did your credit card get charged yet?  I think you only paid the 24.99 to efile state.

I had same problem repeatedly.  Finally spent 2 hrs on phone with the turbotax support group and they could not advise how to fix it and were unable to offer me option to pay on line and give me a credit that would still aw allow me to e-file using a code number (implied in the text of the program was possible).  I do not know if I will continue using their deluxe package or switch to another supplier, this performance was really shoddy compared to my previous experiences.

Whatnot

I just completed e-filing my state return after a long afternoon with the Turbo Tax folks trying to help me.

Unfortunately it was to no avail to spite their utopian effort to solve my problem.

The problem is using your turbo tax login to get your current charge card info.  This option allows the info to be filled in automatically except for the security code.  After filling in the security code and you try to continue your cursor turns into a 'do not enter' emoji indicating additional entries but doesn't tell you what to enter.

I went back to efile again but this time entered as a guest and entered all the required info and it worked.

Selecting "guest" did not work for me...as someone else said, another tax service program option is on my "to do list".  Turbotax is no longer the best tax tool to use.  I am very dissappointed and really surprised.

Bull**bleep**, same thing happened to me. This is a scam, first you charge for the state e file, ok, but then charge $40.00 because your credit card function doesn't work. With cost of program and an additional $60.00, I can have it done elsewhere. I have used your software for years, but this year it was a frustrating as doing it longhand by paper. You should pay everyone who could not get to the credit card payment option for your f*** up. 

I see I'm not the only one that can file because the program won't accept my credit card blaming it on my credit card company. This is unbelievable. Your employees can't help and I can't file. I've waisted 5 hours, with 3 on the phone. You keep closing my case as resolved. You should take care of this and giving my money back. I've used TurboTax since year one. I'm going to file complaint s with everyone I know. This is becoming a Monopoly.

I can not eifile my OK state tax using Turbo Tax.  It will not accept my credit card for the state fee.  I lost $100 at the beginning when ordering TT on line.  My code expired a few weeks after getting it per the online support.  So I purchased a new $100 disk.  Now my state charge will not go thru and the support lady did not know how to fix it.  I am done with TurboTax after this.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@johnraychitwood We are unable to do any billing here in this public forum. For billing assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Come on Intuit. Please fix your issue with windows 10. First, I could not straight forward activate the product. Had to call 3 times to work around it (not fix it). Now I cannot file and pay by credit card. Plan to call support tomorrow to see what they say. What I joke.

Feb 11, 2022 and the same problem exists...I cannot get the program button pay with credit card to function...

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Though a lot of states allow you to pay your taxes with direct debit, not all states offer this.

When you are about to pay for your state taxes, TurboTax will let you know what tax payment options are available to you for your particular state.

If you do not see the option to pay with your card, then you can go to your State Department of Revenue's website to pay online. Please see the link below and click on your state:

How do I contact my state Department of Revenue?

@Muskyman

I agree with your comments. Turbo tax has had a problem getting credit cards to go thru to pay the e-file charge.  I've had the issue since 2019 and still can't get anyone at Intuit to even acknowledge that the problem is on their end. I'll print and mail my 2021 return and start using HR Block next year. Turbotax has gone downhill big time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies