turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjboylequicken
Returning Member

E-mail states "Quick Employer Forms: W-2 rejected" -- no actual reason given and no way to fix. What to do?

I received an email stating that  a W-2 form was rejected by the SSA.  Not sure what to fix as all the email states is "Error in processing file."  

The W-2 related to a single household employee that was paid less than the "threshold" amount for household employees and so no Social Security and Medicare amounts were withheld.  But that should be irrelevant as a "processing" error as state unemployment tax was still due and paid.  

No clue as to what the problem is--but I am supposed to correct and e-file a replacement (per the email from "[email address removed]").    Please advise.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

E-mail states "Quick Employer Forms: W-2 rejected" -- no actual reason given and no way to fix. What to do?

Turbo Tax transmits your return to the IRS so when a rejection occurs, the reason is a discrepancy between the data that the tax payer has provided versus what the IRS has on file. Please take a look at the information that I have provided  below to help decipher and fix the issue:

Fixing a rejected return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jjboylequicken
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply--however, your suggested fixes do not really address the issue in my email.

I am a household employer, and filed a W-2 for a household employee that was rejected.  (It was not a return.)  There are only three bits of information on the W-2 that was filed--and all are correct.  (EIN, SSN, address.)  

I still have no clue what the alleged issue is.  

Thanks.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Please try to submit the W2 again. I see that you stated that you entered the information correctly the first time, so it could have been a one time error with the system. If the W2 is rejected again, could you please post the reject code or post the exact verbiage given that lets you know the W2 has been rejected. 

eliddick

I am having the same exact issue.  Household employee, no taxes/SS/medicare withheld.  I've submitted it three times now.  The 3rd time, i deleted the original W-2 and prepared again... same message.

The forms were rejected for the following reason:

Error in processing file.\n\nCommon reason for error is for having no employees. You need at a minimum one employee in the file.

To resolve this issue and e-file a replacement:

Your SSA W2/W3 submission has been rejected by the agency. Here are some common errors: ** Medicare wages and tips are smaller than the sum of Social Security wages and Social Security tips for an employee. ** Household employers only - Sum of Social Security wages and Social Security tips are less than the yearly minimum threshold for coverage for a household employee. ** Household employers only - Sum of Medicare wages and Medicare tips are less than the yearly minimum threshold for coverage for a household employee. ** There are any overridden fields on the W-2s or W-3 which could cause an out of balance error. If there are any verify that they are correct. ** If there is an employee name/ssn mismatch. ** If an invalid EIN has been entered. Please ensure the EIN entered is the one issued to you. ** Be sure the tax year is not the current tax year or for a year in the future. Make any necessary changes and resubmit your submission. For contact information, go to the Payroll Support website at: http://payroll.intuit.com/support/.

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

We have not seen any common issues with this. The best suggestion would be to use the Payroll Support link that you have been provided with and reach out to support through there. Please let us know if this helps.

Dan54321

I've been having the same exact problem...

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below links for another option to prepare and submit the W-2 Form:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies