Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e-file transmission error

Using the desktop edition of TurboTax Deluxe 2021.  Completed my federal return and one state return, no errors are indicated, and my software is up to date.  I get an error when I attempt to e-file, indicating "The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending."  It also indicates "- Tax Year 2021 transmissions are not available.  - TurboTax is not ready to process Tax Year 2021 for this return."

I typically file in early February.  Is there a delay this year?  What do these error messages mean?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

139 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@kirok63

Thank you for sharing this experience.  We will need more information to assist further.  Are you getting any additional error messages with this?  At what point does this happen?  Please respond back here and someone will follow up with the next steps.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Here is a pic of the full message I received.  This is happening a few seconds after I click the the "Transmit Returns Now" button.  Trying to file Federal Form 1040 and Rhode Island Form RI-1040.

TurboTax e-file error.JPG 

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

What version of TurboTax are you using?  If you are using TurboTax Desktop Edition, please click here for assistance. If you are using TurboTax Online Edition, try to clear your cookies and cache. Assistance with doing so has been provided by clicking here.

I am using Turbo Tax Deluxe 2021, Desktop version, installed from a CD.  I attempted the manual update per the link provided, which failed:

TurboTax manual update failed.JPG

I have applied all automatic updates to date.  "About TurboTax 2021" shows a WinPerRelease version # of [phone number removed].  Is this the correct current version? 

This shows the version #:

TurboTax Desktop Version.JPG

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

It is possible that one or more forms needed for e-filing are not ready yet. I've included the link for State forms availability  as well as the IRS forms availability link below. Please respond to this thread if you find that all forms are available for your return.

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual ...

I'm having the same problem.

also from RI.

all of the forms I'm submitting are listed as available.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

You may need to delete the form, re-add it and reenter your information. You can follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ on how to delete a form. You may also have to log out of the program, clear your cache and cookies, and log back in. Please see the TurboTax FAQ here for instructions on clearing your cache. See here for instructions on clearing your cookies. You may also try using another browser or using the phone app here if the above does not work. If none of these resolve the issue, contact customer support here for further assistance.

@robkarp

All required forms I need to file are available - IRS Form 1040, RI state forms RI-1040, RI Schedule W and RI Schedule E.   The link you provided on removing the form is for TurboTax Online.  As I said earlier, I am using TurboTax Desktop Edition.

I think there’s an issue with transmitting Rhode Island forms. I was having the same issue and got the exact message you did. I then e filed just the federal forms and it went through fine. I went back to try and e file Rhode Island again, and got the message again. 

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

Use this link here to contact Customer Support for further assistance. 

@kirok63

That's interesting.  I wonder if you can complete the RI e-filing after your federal return is accepted.

I tried e filing Rhode Island after the federal was accepted and got the same message again. 

turbo tax replied back to me on a separate post I had on this and they said  TurboTax is currently investigating and has escalated the matter.” 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies