Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

E-File is Closed for the Season? What? Deadline is tomorrow for those who extended!

I'm using TurboTax Home & Business (PC Download) and just finished completing my tax return. I want to go ahead and e-file my federal and CA state return, but I'm getting the following message within TurboTax:

E-filing is closed for the season, you can file by mail

You can file this return but you'll need to walk through printing and filing by mail. TurboTax e-filing closed for the season on October 15, 2022.

Excuse me!? The deadline is October 17, 2022 because October 15th fell on a Saturday! How does TurboTax not know this!?

The only thing I can think is that TurboTax doesn't understand I already requested an extension, since I didn't do that through the program? If so, how do I fix this? I filed my extension by making an extension tax payment through EFTPS which the IRS says is a valid way to file an extension. Help! You had one job TurboTax, ONE JOB!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies

E-File is Closed for the Season? What? Deadline is tomorrow for those who extended!

@ ssmith316 wrote:

I'm using TurboTax Home & Business (PC Download) and just finished completing my tax return. I want to go ahead and e-file my federal and CA state return, but I'm getting the following message within TurboTax:

E-filing is closed for the season, you can file by mail

You can file this return but you'll need to walk through printing and filing by mail. TurboTax e-filing closed for the season on October 15, 2022.

Excuse me!? The deadline is October 17, 2022 because October 15th fell on a Saturday! How does TurboTax not know this!?

The only thing I can think is that TurboTax doesn't understand I already requested an extension, since I didn't do that through the program? If so, how do I fix this? I filed my extension by making an extension tax payment through EFTPS which the IRS says is a valid way to file an extension. Help! You had one job TurboTax, ONE JOB!

Obviously that message has an error since October 17 is the extended filing deadline this year for the 2021 return.

2021 Dates and Deadlines:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-calendars/tax-year-2021-calendar-imp...

I don't know if that is showing erroneously only in the desktop version (CD/download), or also in Online TurboTax.   But in any case, it's not correct.

Did you try to efile anyway?  Is there a way to proceed?

This other user (also using desktop version) from earlier tonight reported back that he was able to proceed to efile anyway:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-turbotax-says-i-can-t-e-file-my-return-after-1...

I bet there will be a lot of other users encountering this message and posting about this in coming hours.

Also, be aware that if an efiled return is rejected after it was timely efiled on or before October 17, one has until October 22 to make any corrections and either resubmit the efile or postmark and mail the rejected return.

Yes! It looks like I can just blithely ignore the message and plow on to e-file. Hooray! That was momentarily terrifying though. It amazes me huge organizations like Intuit can still have bugs in their software like this. It certainly doesn't engender confidence in your users!

@ ssmith316 wrote:

Yes! It looks like I can just blithely ignore the message and plow on to e-file. Hooray! That was momentarily terrifying though. It amazes me huge organizations like Intuit can still have bugs in their software like this. It certainly doesn't engender confidence in your users!

Great!   I'm glad you could proceed to efile.  I bet a lot of folks will be posting on this soon. 

Did you get a confirmatory email that the efile had been transmitted, and when you check the efile status in your desktop software, does it show you the efile status?

Also, be aware that if an efiled return is rejected after it was timely efiled on or before October 17, one has until October 22 to make any corrections and either resubmit the efile or postmark and mail the rejected return.

@ssmith316  also wrote:  "I filed my extension by making an extension tax payment through EFTPS which the IRS says is a valid way to file an extension."

An extension request by paying through EFTPS is a valid way to get an extension, and is one of the quickest and easiest ways.  At the EFTPS website you have to flag it as an extension payment as the reason for paying, which I assume you did.   It can also be done easily at the IRS Direct Pay website for those who do not have an EFTPS account.

I assume you entered your extension payment into your return prior to filing so you got credit for it.   If entered correctly, the extension payment should show up on Schedule 3, Line 10, and should also be included in the figure showing on your Federal Form 1040, Line 31.

I don't think it's working. I did the same. I moved along and hit transmit. However, I am not getting the typical email or text messages noting that it's in progress. It's been about two hours since I hit transmit. 

riesa
Returning Member

I've been trying for 2 days to eFile & keep getting "due to unexpected internet transmissions problems..." if I want t"file by mail" or "try eFiling again".... this is frustrating!! I have had issues last 2 years with TurboTax, after using them for MANY years & I will look at changing next year. I want to hit submit & it submit!

@riesa   Your issue might be different...especially if you are using "Online" software.

For others who are using "Desktop" software, there is a possible e-file deadline notification problem to be fixed later today:

....here's a "Notification" I see in my Desktop Premier at 9:30AM Eastern, 16 Oct:   (An actual "Pause" in Desktop e-filing??)

xxOctDeadlineError.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

OMG - I am waiting to get information and may not be ready to efile  until tomorrow - i need to efile 4 returns plus 3 states. I was told to not wait - but i have premier desktop CD version and looks like it it paused anyway - but can I still file tomorrow? thank you for posting that. 

What happens if it wont let me efile and I dont make the due date? 

I have 3 states to file that aren't due until tomorrow and my only option is to mail them?  Are you kidding me?  This is total BS, TurboTax!  

HELLO EVERYBODY ... there are always glitches in the efile system both on the program and/or  the IRS/State side which is why no one should wait until the last minute to file any return.  The posted message says the efile has been delayed not closed so all you can do is try again later today when the system is once again operational.

Update - spoke to a customer service representative who told me they are trying to fix it (I use the desktop version, not online) and to check later today to see if the software update is available to install.

I’m working on my taxes now and I got a pop-up for an update but it said it was an update from October 13 not one from today and I also have the CD desktop version

Sometimes people are in circumstances beyond their control I had my taxes all done in April 3 sets of taxes for states and my children’s father did not provide me with the rest of the information I needed until yesterday otherwise I would’ve filed in April…. I have the CD desktop premiere version I did get an update but it was from October 13 that just happened I did not get an update from today what do I do if I cannot e-file I never had this happen before but I also never waited to the last minute and like I said it was beyond my control

@lcolantuoni14 The update for the software to allow you to e-file today and tomorrow will not be available until after 10:30am Pacific time today.

The update you received dated October 13 was Not for the e-file issue today.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies