turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjs2
Returning Member

Does Quick Employer Forms of turbotax use the IRS Combined Federal State Filing Program for 1099-misc so that IRS automatically forwards them to State of California?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Does Quick Employer Forms of turbotax use the IRS Combined Federal State Filing Program for 1099-misc so that IRS automatically forwards them to State of California?

Yes, TurboTax Quick Employer Forms is using the Combined Federal and State Filing Program (CF/SF) for the 1099-MISC form. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The FAQ says NO ...

What is Quick Employer Forms?

Quick Employer Forms helps small business owners like yourself quickly and easily create W-2, 1099-MISC, 1099-INT, and 1099-DIV forms.

It asks you easy questions, and then completes the forms for you automatically. It even e-files the forms for you.

For unlimited access to Quick Employer Forms, which you can e-file at no additional cost, you'll need to use one of the following TurboTax products:

• Quick Employer Forms supports e-filing to the Social Security Administration and Internal Revenue Service only. It doesn't support filing any state employer forms, nor does it support printed and mailed forms.
  • If you need to file 100 or more forms, we recommend our 1099 E-File Service, designed to accommodate larger businesses.
  • If you use our Lacerte and ProSeries software, contact your sales representative for information on Quick Employer Forms.

See also Quick Employer Forms questions.

I have electronically filed, now do I have to mail or submit anything to my State?

After e-filing, be sure to check your state's website for W-2 or 1099 reporting requirements. Each state's requirements vary, and most don't require the forms be submitted. Perform an Internet search for your state web address to find details. You do not need to mail anything to the IRS or SSA after e-filing with Quick Employer Forms.

jjs2
Returning Member

Thank you. I understand that QEP can not be used to directly file a Form 1099 with the state.  But if Quick Employer Forms (QEP) uses the Combined Federal State filing program for Form 1099 as MinhT1 indicated, and I submitted the 1099 Form(s) using QEP, then won't the IRS transmit the information in the submitted 1099 forms to the State of California per the combined program so that I don't have to separately file Form 1099 with the State?  

If the your state is part of the combined program then you need to know that ... the QEF program doesn't do anything ... they do not send the state anything.   It is your responsibility to find out if you need to file anything ... the QEF probably will not tell you anything according to their FAQ and QEF will not file any local returns ... again your responsibility to file what is needed.  

I'm not sure I trust what TurboTax says about their Quick Employer Forms.

On about January 10, 2020, I (eventually) figured out how to enter payee data at the TurboTax web pages for eventual printing and eFiling of IRS Forms 1099-MISC (block 7, NEC Compensation) due tomorrow, January 31, 2020.  [For my 2019 returns, I upgraded to TTax Home & Business -- specifically because I wanted the advertised ability to eFile my 1099-MISC forms and know that my current 2019 data would be saved online for quick & easy transfer to next year.]

(1) It turned into a time-wasting hassle to (eventually) discover that the ability to enter 1099-MISC info via the online web pages could NOT be accessed from my freshly-created and therefore existing 2019 TTax file in my desktop computer. Instead, when first opening TTax I had to click the "Start a new return" button and from there choose to enter 1099-MISC (or W2, etc.) data. That worked and I manually entered data for about 30 payees. I chose not to eFile at that time (TTax FAQs explain that my data would be saved online for later eFiling and for transfer to next year). Instead of immediately eFiling, I opted to wait until the end of January (i.e., today, 01/30/2020) in case errors needed to be corrected before eFiling. [NOTE -- There was NO "sign out" link or button available on any of the screens that appeared for me, so I simply closed the browser window. Chrome browser.]

(2) Today, 01/30/2020, I am trying to get back to my previously-entered 1099-MISC data that is supposed to be stored someplace within my online account at TTax ... ... ... and, after successfully logging in with my username and password, I cannot find any of my previously-entered data. The option to enter brand new data appears, but NO saved data from a couple of weeks ago. AARRGGH! A link to previously-saved data does NOT appear when I use the "Start a new return" button when TTax first loads. I cannot find a link to my already-entered data when I go back into my already-started 2019 tax file that's stored in my desktop computer. AARRGGH!

Now I wonder why I wasted my time and money upgrading my TTax product so that I could (supposedly) enter and eFile 1099-MISC forms via TTax to the IRS.

Instructions for TurboTax Home & Business CD/Download software

Follow these directions if you're OK with paper-filing your W-2 or 1099-MISC forms. If you want to e-file these forms, use Quick Employer Forms instead.

Note: TurboTax Home & Business for Mac doesn't support the filing of W-2 and 1099 forms.

1. Launch TurboTax Home & Business.
    • If you're already working on a tax return, you'll need to close it. Select New Tax Return from the File menu in the upper-left corner, then answer Yes to save the return you currently have open.
  2. Select Start a New Return.
  3. Select Prepare W-2s and 1099s for my employees or contractors.
  4. Select Choose Desktop and follow the instructions.

You should be able to open the program again to find the previously entered information. 

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

TTax-QEF_screenshot-b.jpg

clarclar

Does it forward to the state based on the recipient address?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies