Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I defer my tax payments on turbo tax or the irs' website after I file my taxes with turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Do I defer my tax payments on turbo tax or the irs' website after I file my taxes with turbotax?

If you haven't already set a payment date in TurboTax, then the deferral is automatic. You don't need to specifically file for it. You can pay on IRS.gov/pay any time before 07/15/2020.

If you’ve already filed your federal taxes with TurboTax and set a payment date

You can’t change your payment date in TurboTax after your return has been accepted, but you can cancel it and make other payment arrangements with the IRS.

Federal tax direct debit payments can be canceled up to 2 business days prior to the debit date. To cancel, call the IRS on (888) 353-4537, but please wait 7-10 days after your return has been accepted.

Then, to schedule a new payment, go to the IRS Direct Pay site.

State taxes

For your state direct debit payment, contact your state directly.

Visit the original article here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ee-ea
Level 15

If you have already filed and it's been accepted, you cannot change the date.   You can cancel it, however, and then pay by some other method, such as by check, or paying electronically at the IRS website, etc.  IRS Direct Pay at their website allows you to pay directly out of your bank account, and it's free.  Here's the link to IRS Direct Pay:
https://www.irs.gov/Payments

The IRS website says:

"Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method."

Source:
https://www.irs.gov/uac/Pay-Taxes-by-Electronic-Funds-Withdrawal

To cancel your payment you can go to the IRS website linked above.  Scroll down to "Cancellations, Errors and Questions."
It will tell you how to phone "IRS efile Payment Services" and cancel.

It says to wait 7-10 days after it's accepted before you call.

SO, all the experts are ignoring the fact that a single update (well, two, is suppose) by Intuit would make life easier for hundreds of thousands of customers, rather than engage Intuit's entire customer base in a kludge work-around? Not the best ideas I've heard today.

@JDGarvin1950 wrote:

SO, all the experts are ignoring the fact that a single update (well, two, is suppose) by Intuit would make life easier for hundreds of thousands of customers, rather than engage Intuit's entire customer base in a kludge work-around? Not the best ideas I've heard today.

Until the IRS has updated their systems to accept a date after April 15, 2020 for filing a tax return with a payment date after April 15, 2020 TurboTax cannot update the software for the desktop and online editions to include the personal, professional and business programs.  Not to mention all the states that have either changed the dates for a state tax return and a state tax payment or are in the process to change the dates.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies