turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Delay in mail-in tax return confirmation for 2020

In my case, I submitted the mail-in returns in July-2020 after long waiting for getting ITIN for dependents. Since ITIN was not received not received for dependents, so I submitted whatever documents were ready for submission. So far, I have not received any mail of completion or queries or resubmission letters. I had a call with IRS helpline also, they mentioned wait for another a month but no need to resubmit it again.

Though, additional tax deductions which were paid through checks are already cleared for Federals and State taxes but no mail communication is received and as confirmed through IRS helpline, they don't see any updates about my returns in system also. 

Is this common experience for everyone during Year-2020 for filing taxes of Year-2019, who filled through mail-in or am I supposed to do something from my end to expedite it? The concern arises as taxes paid through checks but mail communication being done.

Any advises are much appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

The IRS does not send you a confirmation that your mailed tax return arrived.  If you want to know that an envelope you mailed to the IRS got there you have to use a mailing service like certified mail that tracks it and tells you it got there.

The IRS is working on millions of pieces of mail that piled up during the pandemic.  It is taking them a VERY long time to open and process all the mail.

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue:

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you @xmasbaby0  for replying my queries.

It is understood that paper returns is taking longer time then routine due to Pandemic situation. However, the checks (for additional tax payment) which I enclosed with USPS mail were deposited and got cleared through my bank account. That means someone from IRS had open my enveloped and might had looked at my tax returns. 

This surprised me because tax payment is done through check but the tax forms were not processed in the system. Any thoughts or experience for this issue.

@Adeeb - having worked in a bank that processes the checks on behalf of the IRS, what you experienced is the way it works.  Banks that process the checks are required to open the envelopes and deposit the checks within 24 hours of receipt.  The paper return then goes off to the IRS for their processing.  Those PO BOX numbers in the address are normally bank lockbox locations which have IRS contracts to process the checks.   

@Adeeb Where are you looking to see if your return was processed?  If you owed tax then you are not getting a refund, and nothing is going to show up on the IRS refund site.    In many cases, they have taken the payments but not put all of the other information into the system yet.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If you are looking for the tax transcript then it will not be available until the IRS has processed your return.  Due to the backlog and limited staffing returns with balance dues have been put on the back burner so that returns with refunds can be processed first.  Nothing you can to to speed up this process.  At least you know the return got there since the check has been cashed.  

@xmasbaby0 Whatever tax I owed, I paid through check. 
The biggest concern will come while filing taxes of Year 2020 if the 2019 tax is not entered into the system. Looking at this speed, only I can keep patience to receive the transcripts. 

@Critter-3  Agreed. I checked through my online IRS account also. Whenever I tried I get only below message:

Technical Difficulties

A technical problem has occurred. Please close this window and return to the main page.

Reference Number xxx (for internal use only).

Then when you file 2020 and if it rejects the 2019 AGI then try using 0 zero for the AGI to efile.

Since the return will be processed late when you efile the 2020 return if the 2019 AGI is rejected simply resend it with an AGI of ZERO instead. 

@VolvoGirl @Critter-3  If I understand correctly then you mean AGI zero for 2019.

Yes.  If they process 2019 too late they won't have the AGI in the system to verify you.  So use 0 zero when you file 2020 next year.  

Hi @VolvoGirl @Critter-3  - Now is the to submit 2020 taxes and my 2019 tax is not yet updated in IRS. I checked under my IRS account for the transcripts also but same thing. 

So, following your suggestion to put AGI $0 for 2019, I think I can choose 4th option .

Option 1> I have Adeeb's 2019 tax return. (Highly recommended)
Option 2> I can’t get Adeeb's 2019 tax return. I’ll print and mail or use the self-select PIN Adeeb created last year
Option 3> I requested and received Adeeb's 2019 transcript from the IRS.
Option 4> Adeeb didn't file last year.
Thanks.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies