turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Completing 2018 Return started in April online

I started a 2018 return in April, filed an extension, but have not completed it. How can I start off where I left? Did TurboTax save my incomplete 2018 return anywhere so I don't have to start over using the download version?  I was unaware of blackout or archive dates.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DoninGA
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

See this TurboTax support FAQ for completing a 2018 tax return originally started with the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RickG    you can't complete it online.  but you can download the .tax file and purchase the proper desktop version of the software to complete it. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RickG
Expert Alumni

Edited-

@DoninGA has provided the best solution to this issue. Please follow the instructions laid out in the FAQ provided.

DoninGA
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

See this TurboTax support FAQ for completing a 2018 tax return originally started with the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-finish-a-prior-year-return-that-i-...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RickG    you can't complete it online.  but you can download the .tax file and purchase the proper desktop version of the software to complete it. 

RickG
Expert Alumni

@Anonymous Thanks for providing this clarification.

Thanks everyone!  I downloaded the tax data file (.tax) which I didn’t know existed for an incomplete/non-filed return and loaded it in the download TT version. It was a little tricky to access the .tax file but TT provides a step-by-step guide when you click on the .tax file (registration using the Free Edition required before you are able download the .tax file). 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies