Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Returning Member

Cannot Import 1099 from Vanguard

I have successfully imported my 1099 from Vanguard in the past. However, this year Turbotax is telling me the sign in is invalid. I have tried several times, carefully entering my ID and PW. I'm guessing there might be a problem with Vanguard's new security feature where they text a security code to your phone and ask you to input it to complete your login.  Is anyone else having the same problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

If you have entered your password correctly, you may want to make sure you have granted third-party access for TurboTax to import. I have also provided some help articles below that might assist you. If these don't work and you are still having issues, please respond back here and let us know:

How do I import my 1099s?

How do I enter a large number of stock transactions in TurboTax Online?

What if I can't import my 1099?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
E
Level 2

I have the same issue (I am using Turbotax Premier).  It worked for me in previous years without any problems. But this year's Turbotax asked me to input "Account number" and "Document ID". I did it, but no import at all. I tried to look for way to use my Vanguard's "Username" and "log-in password", but Turbotax doesn't seem to have such options. Does anyone know how to make it works to import 1099s from Vanguard? Thanks for help in advance.

Not sure....my Brother has both a Vanguard Mutual fund account.....and a Vanguard Brokerage account.

we messed up the login on the Brokerage a couple times. 

You need to make sure you select the correct one to import.....depending on what type of account you actually have

_________

IF you should be using....& select the:

1)  Vanguard - Mutual Fund:  That one uses your UserID & Pwd

2) Vanguard - Brokerage:  Tha one uses  Acct# & DocID from the top of the consolidated tax form.

________

IF you are logging into the correct one, the correct way, and it' still not there, you may be stuck manually entering the data.

One other person noted that they transferred their Mutual Fund account to the brokerage mid-year...and they had to import both sets of forms....the in-account distributions that occurred before the switch were still in the Mutual Fund account to be imported.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
E
Level 2

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried both selection and it all gave me the same results saying that "There isn't any tax-related info to import right now".

However, I checked my Vanguard online account and the 1099s are there! Does anyone have the same problem as this? Any help in solving this problem is very much appreciated.

apta

For Vanguard Brokerage accounts enter the Account number and for the Document ID you MUST remove the spaces between sets of numbers.  

Even with the correct credentials, Vanguard's server may return an error.  My guess is that the server is too busy as I have found that sometimes the request goes through and other times it errors out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies