Re: Can't efile because of QBI Rental Real Estate ...

Can't efile because of QBI Rental Real Estate Enterprise Statement

I have several rental properties that I have to aggregate under the QBI Safe Harbor allowance, since this is the only way for me to satisfy the record-keeping requirements as I don't spend enough time on each property by itself. However, when I do my federal review, I get the message that I have to file a paper return because I "have QBI Rental Real Estate Enterprise Statement" that is not supported by TurboTax for e-filing.

I seem to recall some other threads (which I can no longer find) where a TT expert said there might be an update which would allow attachment of a signed .pdf and therefore the ability to e-file? I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is such a possibility, or if I should just resign myself to the immense hassle of printing 100 pages and mailing them, as the deadline is fast approaching.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions!

No, there is no information available to me that indicates or suggests that e-filing the Rental Real Estate Enterprise "safe harbor" statement will be supported by 7/15/2020.  Returns with this attachment are print and mail only.

I do not understand why Turbotax and IRS can not work together to fix this bug to allow for digital sign the form, the whole point of using Turbotax is that I can do efile and I do not need to print and mail the forms. If I can not do it what is the point of buying Turbotax!  I want my money back. 

I agree with you, David. Time to find a different product or means of filing our returns next year. Although we have been loyal TurboTax customers, this year we have had one problem after another, requiring more time to fix the problems than it would have taken to fill out the returns in the first place! And now, not even being able to file electronically? Absolutely ridiculous.

I have the same situation.  I've using efile with TT for years.  Do we really need to print pages of tax return and mail?  Did TT update their attachment? Or can TT allow us to efile and we can add statement by mail?

The IRS requirement to attach a signed and dated rental activity safe harbor election statement is new for the 2019 tax season; the IRS did not issue that safe harbor procedure until the fall of 2019.

At this time, that signed and date rental activity safe harbor election cannot be attached to a TurboTax return as a PDF; the tax return must be printed and mailed.

@cathyjohn

Yes, this is unfortunate that TT did this for me also, so I need to mail a paper return. You can try deleting that SH stmt, although I did that, and it took away my Q business deduction for that property. I have other businesses also, although that is the only one that TT made me fill out a SH stmt for! TT should upload that form and have you sign electronically for it, then allow the e filing