turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Can not login to Morgan Stanley Stockplan Connect to import tax data. Tells me invalid username or password. I can access the site directly using same credentials..

This is ridiculous. TT says to contact MS as it is their fault and MS says to contact TT as it is their fault. How can companies get away with this level of poor accountability and customer service? I realize Intuit no longer owns Quicken, but it was the same problem when they did own them. If I have problems with Quicken bank imports, Quicken says it's the bank's fault and the bank says it's Quicken's fault. This is all maddening. 

Can someone on the TT team help rectify this issue? This appears to date back a year, which is nuts. Telling us to change our username or password is not a fix, which if you look at the customers that have tried this to no avail, you would know, so please do not suggest that again. There doesn't appear to be anything we as a customer can fix. Even if the problem is on the MS side, this affects TT customers, so as a company, you should be trying to rectify this issue regardless of which side the problem is on...

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Can not login to Morgan Stanley Stockplan Connect to import tax data. Tells me invalid username or password. I can access the site directly using same credentials..

Please see this link, as it has suggestions from other users for password related help importing your 1099.This is with Wealthfont but it may be the same issue with Morgan Stanley. Please also see the TurboTax FAQ below:

What if I can't import my 1099?

Cass0317

Have you read this thread? The thread you linked appears to be tied to sites that have long complex passwords that people are looking for ways to copy and paste since the password is so long and hashed when entered into TT. Since you did not reference anything specific and just pointed to a 5 page thread, let me know if you are referring to something else. 

I don't see how that thread has relevance to the issues here. Plenty of people in this thread have stated they enter the exact same login and password for MS and TT. For MS, it works, for TT, it doesn't. There is no mention of wanting to be able to copy paste the password from MS to TT. If I have missed something of worth in your link, I apologize, but ask that if you haven't, please at least have the courtesy of taking a look through the thread so see the problems your customers are having. Throwing out suggestions that have already been tried and confirmed not to work (e.g. changing passwords) or suggesting fixes that are not pertinent to the problems we are facing is frankly not helpful at all and just a waste of time. 

DLD2

This problem occurs every year and it is always a problem on TT's end.  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You may need to check your brokerage to see if they are allowing third-party access. Although the following Help Article is for Schwab, it is possible that your brokerage has restricted TurboTax's access to your statements unless you grant consent, and you might need to do something similar to what is described here How can I fix my 1099 import issue?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same issue.  It use to work last year but not this year. 

Having heard that the password change does not work, I did not bother to try that.   Instead, I downloaded the PDF file from Morgan Stanley's website, and uploaded to TT to avoid typing it in manually.

First download your form and save it in your computer.  In the "Let's import your tax info" page,  click "Choose how I enter my form", then "Upload it from my computer", then drag and drop, or browse and select your tax form, and that is it.   I changed the payer to Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, LLC., but I did not have to change anything else.    It is not as simple as direct importing, but good enough to avoid typing. 

@j_s_austin wrote:

I have the same issue.  It use to work last year but not this year. 

Having heard that the password change does not work, I did not bother to try that.   Instead, I downloaded the PDF file from Morgan Stanley's website, and uploaded to TT to avoid typing it in manually.

First download your form and save it in your computer.  In the "Let's import your tax info" page,  click "Choose how I enter my form", then "Upload it from my computer", then drag and drop, or browse and select your tax form, and that is it.   I changed the payer to Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, LLC., but I did not have to change anything else.    It is not as simple as direct importing, but good enough to avoid typing. 

Be sure that your MS account profile allows 3rd party access.       Any reject would come from  MS.    It is probably a different server using the same login as your regular account and just for imports.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
r_user

I have the same issue.  No problems with Morgan Stanley Wealth Management, only Morgan Stanley StockPlan Connect.  Last week it was an error that the tax documents were not available....this week it just tells me that the userid or password is invalid, even though I'm logged into the website.  I don't see any settings for allowing/disallowing 3rd party connections, as some have suggested in other posts.  

I gave up on TurboTax fixing this issue and will be looking at using new software next year (have probably used TT for last 15 years, but keep getting issues that the company never fixes). 

I ended up just filing the MS Stock Connect portion manually. Disclaimer for those that choose to enter by summary method like I did - TurboTax is making me mail in an 8453 form since I did it as a summary. Another annoyance...

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@r_user I know that you mentioned not seeing third party access as mentioned in other posts; I am including the corresponding FAQ for that suggestion (just in the event that you have not seen it) 1099 Import Issues.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LCN
Level 1

I tried HR Block, and unfortunately they don't have direct import for MS StockPlan Connect (only PDF import is supported). Maybe this is the reason that TT doesn't have the urgency to fix this issue. Anyway, guess so far the best option is following j_s_austin's to just do a PDF import in TT.

I think this will only get resolved if TT gets MS Stockplan to create a dummy account that is converted to a MS Access Direct Account or in the process to test.   This started last year with my Cisco account which worked the prior 2 years ago.  My IBM account which didn't get converted imported from MS Stockplan Connect into TT just fine.  I decided to try to create the Access Direct account but it still failed with the invalid username/passowrd so  it seems there is something unique to this combination of Stockplan connect with Access direct account  that is preventing the import. With the dummy account maybe the developers from both sides can figure out what is going on.

ssinn0080
Returning Member

Got this to work using my morgan stanley username and SSN as the pwd.

Cass0317
CarissaM
EbonyA
NashayLO
ChondelLO
VictoriaD75

You are all TurboTax employees who have responded over the last 8 or 9 months (and this thread goes back even farther).

You can clearly see that there is an issue here with TT.  Why do you bother to write unhelpful replies to this question?  You seem to be purposely not understanding this thread, the issue that has been raised, the great community insights into what is going on, etc.

Why do you type these responses?  They are not helping.  Please escalate  this within TT to get it fixed.  Please stop writing replies that add no value.

Thanks.

Like last year, this is impacting me.

I'm seriously getting tired of this. We are paying for this service to work.

TT: please escalate this ticket to your software development teams.

Have them review their Morgan Stanley API logs, and stop putting your customer people in front of what is obviously a problem in your code base at this stage.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies