turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I make one estimated payment for the tax year 2019 now in November?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can make a 2019 estimated tax payment up through January 15, 2020 at this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/payments

View solution in original post

@gjr102712 wrote:

Thank you very much! Also, I live in PA - I can make one estimated payment to them as well? I had to cash out my Mom's 401k in October before the 5 year window after her death closed in November and I want to make sure I pay extra now rather than in April.

Go to this Pennsylvania Department of Revenue website for tax payment information - https://www.revenue.pa.gov/OnlineServices/PersonalIncomeTaxe-Services/Pages/Make%20a%20Payment.aspx

View solution in original post

12 Replies

You can make a 2019 estimated tax payment up through January 15, 2020 at this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/payments

why can't you make an estimated payment after January 15, 2020???? 

One reason is probably after Jan 15 you will be filing your return with a payment or after Jan 15 you will be paying a payment with an extension.

See page 2 when to file, https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

* You don’t have to make the payment due January 15,
2020, if you file your 2019 tax return by January 31, 2020,
and pay the entire balance due with your return.

My point is that If you owe money , you are not ready to file your return and it’s after January 15, 2020 , you can still make a payment ..... you could be subject to interest on a payment that was otherwise due on January 15 , but it will reduce / shut off the interest clock if you pay an estimate after January 15, 2020:

I have never heard of the IRS refusing money!!! 

Bees
Level 7

Yes you can do that but the IRS and state tax collectors like to get their money  by each quarterly due dates and you will probably be fined for late payments for the first three quarters.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/self-employment-taxes/myths-about-quarterly-taxes-for-the-1099-...

If you can prove you earned all the income in the quarter there is a form to use for that. And if you have any income by W2 earnings if you pay a lump sum from that they count that as if paid equally through the year.

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

All well and good and true HOWEVER go back and read the thread .... @DoninGA ’s response infers you CAN’T make a payment after January 15, 2020 .... my point is you can, but depending on your liabilities there MAY be interest due for late payment - 

The question was concerning a 2019 estimated tax payment.  The answer is correct.  A payment made after 01/15/2020 is not a 2019 estimated tax payment

Call if what you want, It is still a payment that the IRS will accept 

dmertz
Level 15

Sorry to perpetuate this off-topic discussion, but one can certainly make a Q4 estimated tax payment late, after January 15.  It might or might not be able to be done through IRS DirectPay after January 15, but it can certainly be done by mailing a check with the Q4 Form 1040-ES for the year to which the tax payment is to apply.  Doing so will reduce or stop any further increase in the interest penalty for the amount that was required to have been paid by January 15 but wasn't.  I did this myself with regard to my 2013 taxes when I didn't remember to make my Q4 estimated tax payment until late February.

An alternative to making a Q4 estimated tax payment is by January 31 to file an pay the full balance due and the payment for the Q4 tax liability will be considered to be timely.

Thank you very much! Also, I live in PA - I can make one estimated payment to them as well? I had to cash out my Mom's 401k in October before the 5 year window after her death closed in November and I want to make sure I pay extra now rather than in April.

@gjr102712 wrote:

Go to this Pennsylvania Department of Revenue website for tax payment information - https://www.revenue.pa.gov/OnlineServices/PersonalIncomeTaxe-Services/Pages/Make%20a%20Payment.aspx

Thank you again so much!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies