Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file federal and state separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies

Yes. You can file them separately. Although state returns can be e-filed with your federal return (or after your federal return has already been accepted), it's no longer possible to e-file state returns before the federal.

They are taking this measure to add an extra layer of security to all e-filed state returns.

This new requirement also means you won't be able to e-file your state if your federal return was, or will be, paper-filed.

You can file federal now and skip state filing, but your e-filed federal return will need to be accepted before you can e-file your state (or, you can just paper-file your state return later. More info)

Here are two ways to skip your state in TurboTax Online:

1. Delete your state return, file your federal return now, and then come back later re-do your state return; or
  2. Pay for both your federal and state returns now, and when you get to the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select the File by mail button and click the I'm not ready to file radio button below your state and click save.

Method 1 doesn't require up-front payment for your state, but you'll have to re-enter your state information. Method 2 saves the work you did on your state return but requires up-front payment.

Hi, 

While filing for my taxes on here. I mistakenly chose the option to get the refund (both federal and state) combined to my bank account. It turned that this option is costing me 40$ on Turbo tax. 

How can I delete this option? i.e. I don't mind getting my both refunds separately so I can file for free on Turbo tax? Please advise.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

As long as you haven't filed yet (or you e-filed, but got rejected), you can change your refund method.

1. Open your return in TurboTax.
  2. Go to the File section in the left menu.
  3. Next to Step 2: Your refund info select Revisit.
  4. Choose your desired refund method and select Continue.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

First of all you can never get them combined.  Federal and state refunds come separately from different places at different times. 

You misunderstood.  You can only have the fees for federal and state deducted from your federal refund.  That’s all.  That doesn’t affect when the IRS or state send it to you.  Its just convenient to have the fees for both deducted at the same time.  And you pay an EXTRA 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge (44.99 in California) to have them deducted.  Which actually might add a day or two to get your refund after the IRS sends it.  Or you can pay with a credit card to avoid the extra charge.

How to remove the Pay with Refund fee

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-remove-pay-with-my-refund-fees-in-turbot...

marielaw1

With the Federal tax due date being moved to July 15, 2020, how can I file my state return before federal?

A lot of states also have extended to July 15, 2020.  

You can file state before Federal but you have to mail state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-e-file-my-state-return-before-my-federal/00/2554...

You have to use a different account.

If you need to file a Joint federal and separate state returns

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-prepare-a-joint-federal-return-and-se...

Reading the FAQ it looks like you have to use 3 accounts.  One to file the Joint return.  Then you each need another account to fill out fake federal MFS returns to do your separate state returns.    So you will have to PAY for 3 online accounts (3 federal returns and 2 state returns).  That's why it's cheaper to use the Desktop installed program.    If you don't have a computer to install the desktop program on maybe it would be cheaper and easier to go to a local accountant or tax place.

Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Or buy the Desktop CD/Download program here

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

fhhuie

Hi, 

This is my first time filling online so I am running into trouble.

I filed my federal return on an efile website that was not turbotax but it did not give me the option to file my state return on that site so I decided to use turbotax to file my MN state return. I am getting an error message stating that due to my federal return already being filled it cannot file my return on TurboTax. Is there any way to send only the state return in? My federal return application was accepted already so there is no way for me to cancel it. 

Heleonz

Remember if you pay with credit card there are no additional fees.

For E-filing one and not the other:

The answer is a yes and a no, depending on which you wish to E-file now and wait for the other.

You cannot E-file your State Return before your Federal E-file has been accepted.

If you wish to E-file only your Federal now and wait on your State, you can do so. However, you need to make sure you make the correct filing elections in the "Filing" section AND also make sure that you've received notice via email that your Federal Return has been accepted. Otherwise, if your Federal Return has not yet been accepted by the IRS then your State will not be accepted by your State. 

Hello, my federal e-file taxes were accepted by the IRS but when I go back and try to e-file my state taxes, they are still trying to charge me? why?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@ALEXSANCHEZ

If you already paid your applicable fees and are being prompted to pay again please contact us.

Some products require a fee to e-file a state or a state tax return product. Please see these links for more information: 

Compare TurboTax Online Products

Compare TurboTax Desktop Products

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the desktop version and I filed my federal before my State taxes.  My federal was accepted, but when I go now to file my State return it says I must choose my federal return.  Even though the federal has been accepted.  What do I do?

Are you using the Desktop program?  Sign up on this new error FAQ

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/why-am-i-not-able-to-e-file-my-state-return-after-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies