turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Can I delete my TurboTax account?

It depends.

Did you already file a tax return and e-file it?

If so, you can't e-file again using another service.

Please see the following link for instructions on how to clear your return if you have not filed yet.

Clear and start over your return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kndelobes

Did you get a solution to this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@JeanneLO Keep getting "password_invalid" when I try to "delete my intuit data" under data & Privacy.

@Anonymous Not sure what you are trying to do, since you added to an existing thread that has posts from various other people on it already.  You cannot delete a TurboTax account.  You can try to clear out any 2019 data you entered if you did not register or pay.  Or you can just abandon the account.  No one else has access to it; no one will be able to change or do anything with the account.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2586254-how-do-i-clear-and-start-over

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xmasbaby0I am confused?? I am aware that deleting an account is not possible I was replying to @Jeanne LO who said: "f you want to have your data deleted from Turbo Tax/Intuit go to: accounts.intuit.com, scroll down to Data & Privacy, to "Delete your intuit data" and press continue for steps of this process." and I replied saying I am unable to do that because I keep getting "password_invalid" ???

@Anonymous OK---the person you were trying to reply to is likely a seasonal employee who is gone now, so do not expect a response.  You might have used the wrong password to get in to your account.

Many people have multiple TT accounts and forget how to access them.  Log out of the account you are in now.

Account recovery

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901535-forgot-your-turbotax-online-user-id-or-password

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

@xmasbaby0 The password is 100% correct and I even changed my password and still did not work. I have been told it was a glitch in the system but never got a response back.

No I did not forget how to access my account and I only have one. Log out why?

@Anonymous Phone support is not provided with the Free Edition.  If you are using a paid version of the software or if you purchased PLUS you can get phone support when customer support is there.  Otherwise, post your question here and someone will try to help.

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

They are available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time  Monday-Friday

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont like it 

@Anonymous This thread has posts from multiple users.  Your post has no context.  We have no idea what you do not like, or if you have a problem you want help with.  Ask a clearly worded complete question here if you need help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having the exact same problem while trying to delete personal data under Data & Privacy. To access that feature one needs to login so, yes I must have the correct password. Yet, when I click on "Delete this data" it returns "invalid_password".

KL1958

I started my taxes but want to do the simple free, and it keeps sending me back deduct $80.00 (that I could use!). I'm eligible, and want to file free. How to do it?

@KL1958

WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY?  I WANT THE FREE EDITION

The information that you can enter in Free Edition is pretty limited now.  Thanks to the new tax laws that began for 2018 returns, there are no more simple Form 1040EZ or 1040A's.  Everything goes on a Form 1040 that has three extra "schedules" with it, and if you need any of those schedules, you are not able to use the Free Edition.  Using the standard deduction instead of itemizing does NOT mean you will not need any of those schedules.https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4511011-what-happened-to-the-1040a-and-1040ez

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040 

If you qualify to use it, there is another full-featured free version of the software:

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $39,000 or less, or $72,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

Note:  If you do not qualify to use Free File then you will have to upgrade to Deluxe or higher in the paid versions of the software.   

Online Deluxe $40  State software $40

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

I thought I was getting the free turbo tax 

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

You cannot delete your account.

As long as you haven't paid your TurboTax Online fee (or registered a cost-free version), you can clear any data you entered. (Fees paid through Pay With My Refund and pre-paid code also count as "paid.")

Once you've paid or registered, we're required to store copies of your return. These are the same requirements imposed on accountants, CPAs, and other professional tax preparers.

Don't worry if you started a TurboTax Online return but didn't finish it. We're still dedicated to protecting every customer's personal and financial information.

TurboTax Free Edition is an online-only product that supports simple tax returns that can be filed on Form 1040 without any attached schedules.

Simple tax situations covered in TurboTax Free Edition:

• W-2 income
    • Unemployment income
    • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
    • Claiming the standard deduction
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
    • Child tax credits

Situations not covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• Itemized deductions
  • Business or 1099-MISC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions, and income reported on schedules 1–3, such as the Student Loan Interest Deduction

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies