turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jkayler21

Can I claim my son if his mother receieved the Stimulus for him because she claimed him last year? will this affect her at all?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Can I claim my son if his mother receieved the Stimulus for him because she claimed him last year? will this affect her at all?

According to the IRS, parents who are not married and alternate claiming of a child dependent, "The parent who claimed their child on their 2019 return may have received an additional Economic Impact Payment for their qualifying child. When the parent who did not receive an additional payment files their 2020 tax return next year, they may be able to claim up to an additional $500 per-child amount on that return if they qualify to claim the child as their qualifying child for 2020."

This only references the one stimulus payment but would apply to both.

This is referenced in the last paragraph under Claimed dependents are not eligible for an additional $500 payment in this article:  Why the economic impact payment amount could be different than anticipated

This will all be done by claiming the Rebate Recovery Credit on your 2020 return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What about filing an amended return and not getting the stimulus from last year.     I filed 2019 amended return to claim my son, since I didn't realize it was my year to claim him.    I didn't receive either payments for him on the stimulus payments.    Turbo tax is not asking if I received these payment for him.    When will it ask about him since I claimed him in 2019, but can't claim him in 2020.

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

You may amend your 2019 tax return.  If your son was not claimed as a dependent on any other tax return, it may allow you to claim a benefit on your tax return.

It will not, however, generate a stimulus payment to you.

The IRS states that the 2020 Federal tax return is the vehicle where the two stimulus payments are reconciled.

If you do not receive a payment or did not receive the maximum amount this year, you may be eligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit when you file your 2020 tax return.

You will have to claim your son as a dependent on the 2020 Federal tax return to recover a missed stimulus payment as a Recovery Rebate Credit.

I don't think you are understanding.  I had already amended my return and I understand that it will not give me the stimulus money.   But I amended to claim my son since it was my year.    I can't claim him in 2020, since it is not my year.    So how do I get the stimulus payments for when I claimed him in 2019, especially since I can't claim him in 2020.    Turbotax is not asking the question if I received my stimulus for dependents when the software should do that for these situations.   Especially since the IRS is so back up with still processing 2019 tax returns.      

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You will not receive a stimulus payment for him.  

The payments were an advance credit for 2020.  2019 information was used in sending out the payments since 2020 tax returns had not been filed at the point the stimulus payments were sent out.  They are being reconciled when you do your 2020 return.  In some cases, people may have been given a stimulus payment based on their 2019 return that did not qualify based on their 2020 return.  In these cases they are not required to return the stimulus, however they are ineligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In your particular case, had you originally filed your 2019 return with your son claimed as a dependent, you would have probably received a payment because the IRS would have seen him on your 2019 return.  This would have been a payment you didn't qualify for because he is not on your 2020 return as a dependent.  

I filed an amended return claiming my son, he was not on my original return.   And when I called the IRS they said that I would be able to file for the missing payments for him on my 2020 return even though I am not claiming him this year.  

The IRS still has not processed my amended return yet and will probably not get to it till spring.    They have it on file, but they are so far behind that it is not being processed.   

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

The TurboTax 2020 software adds together the entries that you make for receiving stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2.

Then the software computes the amount of your stimulus check amounts based upon the information that has been entered into the 2020 tax software. 

If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

If you believe that you are due a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return, then you should: 

• Check the amounts entered for stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2, and
  • Make sure that you have correctly entered your dependent information.

If there is a difference, it is in one or both of these situations.

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing returns.  Tax returns are opened in the order received.  See How to find my Amended Return Status.

I have entered the exact amount I received for the stimulus packages 1 and 2.    I only received money for me since my original tax return had only me on it.   I filed an amended return in April claiming my son, so I didn't receive any money for him on either stimulus money.     When I get to the point on turbo tax to enter the amount received I do that, but it is not asking if I am missing any money which I am.     Turbo tax should ask if you are missing any stimulus money and/or filed an amended return claiming any dependents.  

I appreciate everyone trying to help, but the answer I am looking for is not there.    No one is seeing the full picture here.   I  can't be the only one who has this issue.    

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The total amount of stimulus payments you are eligible for is based on the information in your 2020 tax return. Your amended 2019 tax return is not relevant.  Everything is based on your 2020 tax return.

If you claim your son who is age 16 or under on your 2020 tax return then you would be eligible for the following amounts.

Round one:  $1200 plus $500 total $1700

Round two:  $600 plus $600 total $1200

Total eligible amount for the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return is $2900.

That $2900 credit is then reduced by any amounts you actually received.  So if you received 1200 and 600 (1800 total) then your credit will be reduced to $1100 on your tax return.

You are not going to receive any future stimulus payments based on your amended 2019 return.  

Exactly, but how am I suppose to get the 1100 credit on my tax return.    It is saying I received the correct amount, which is not right.    I didn't receive the money when it was based off of you 2019 tax returns in 2020.   Turbo tax is not showing that I am getting 1100 credit on my tax return.     This is my issue, because turbotax is stating I received the correct amount.   But that amount was only based on me and not my dependent son who is under 16.    So I am due 1100 somewhere, whether it is in my 2020 refund or a credit to my 2020 taxes.    

Also you are incorrect, because the stimulus payments were based off of your 2019 tax return.    That was how the payments were distributed.   So my 2019 amended return is relevant in this matter to a point, because that is when I claimed my son.    We are doing our 2020 tax return and the way the IRS explained it to me would be that I would get the 1100 due on my 2020 tax return due to not receiving it.    

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

Your stimulus payment is based on your 2020 return. You are due $1,200 per taxpayer and $500 for each dependent under age 17 for the first payment and $600 for each taxpayer and dependent under age 17 for the second payment.

If you received any payments, you subtract that amount from the amounts listed above and that is what is due you on your 2020 tax return.

So, it is possible to receive more that you were entitled to, if your tax returned changed with respect to the taxpayer and dependents listed on it. If so, you won't be required to pay back the excess.

So, your 2019 tax return doesn't have anything to do with your stimulus payment, except with regard to the amount of money you received already.

Please read the thread, I didn't receive the dependent part of the stimulus payments in 2020.    And yes the 2019 does count, because that is how the IRS made the stimulus payments for 2020.   

I filed an amended return for 2019 claiming my son, because I didn't realize it was my year to claim him due to the agreement that I have with his mom.   We claim every other year.     So when the payments were made I only received my portion of the stimulus and not the portion for my son.    When I spoke with the IRS they said I would be able to get the 1100 that I was suppose to receive on my 2020 tax return.    So neither his mom or myself received any money in 2020 for our son.    

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

The key is when the amendment was filed and when the IRS processed it. Although the stimulus payment was sent out based on the 2019 (or 2018) tax return, it is reconciled on the 2020 return. Some taxpayers are still getting checks, however there are some caveats. 

Since the other parent is claiming your child on their tax return this year, the reconciliation tax year,  then it will be included with that tax return and added to the payments (1040, Line 30) on the that tax return.

You can try contacting the IRS about this to see how this would be handled in your situation specifically.

• (January - April)  800-829-1040 - Call early or late for shortest wait times.
    • Telephone service wait times can average 15 minutes. Some telephone service lines may have longer wait times.
    • Telephone service wait times are higher on Monday and Tuesday, during Presidents Day weekend and around the April tax filing deadline.
Manage cookies