Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bug report - joint return w/deceased spouse efile rejected by IRS

@Mar wrote:

Just a thought, on my joint tax return my husband is listed as the primary tax filer, but only my token got sent (as far as I could see) with the returns.  Perhaps the fact that his isn't sent is what is causing the problem?

You mis-understand what the "token" is for.    A TurboTax representative asked ONE user in this thread to send a diagnostic file so that the issue could be investigated by a TurboTax developer. The "token" is a password so the developers can read that file.  Only one user was asked to do that.    Unless a TurboTax agent specifically asks you to send a diagnostic file, it is useless to do so because nobody will ever use it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Mar
Level 3

Sorry mistyped.  I meant to say PIN, not token.

I encountered this problem, too. I had already paid Intuit $24.99 to e-file my state return. But the state return was Rejected because the Federal return must be accepted first. TT mislead us into believing we could use e-file even though we had entered our spouse's deceased date. I want my state e-file fee refunded from Intuit.

@elly01 Exactly. If this is a known bug, it costs us time and is indeed misleading on TT's side.

Re: 24.99 state efile refund: I had to call customer support. It was quick, she understood the situation. So call in to get a refund. 

Good luck! 

GabiU
Level 15

Thank you all for your comments. On behalf of the community and our product teams, we are sorry for your loss.

Mishaps or complications while using the product is not what we want for our users. The community team is here to collect your feedback. 

Please sign up in this article for more information: Incorrect error: Customers are being rejected (IND-032-04) for spouse AGI when the spouse has passed...

[Edited: 4/7/2020] 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ConcernedTaxPayer5547 took the steps and confirmed that there is a TurboTax software bug that needs to be corrected and implemented. The fix should be included in the software updates when I open TurboTax on my computer.  If other tax software can process deceased spouse e-filed returns, then TurboTax needs to apply the corrected code.

Thank you ConcernedTaxPayer5547 for taking the time to confirm the issue is in the TurboTax software code.

Intuit should never had allowed this issue and should fix it immediately!

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Your comments have been forwarded.

Mitch59
Returning Member

Another user with the rejected IRS return from TurboTax that had a deceased spouse.  Original return rejected, tried the "0" AGI for the spouse, but that was also rejected.  Also entered my spouse's Driver License and 5 digit pins on the FORMS view but this was rejected also.

So, I tried FreeTaxUSA.  Had to reenter all the information, but the questions were straightforward and entry went smoothly.  The Federal Return was accepted in about 10 minutes and the state return is on its way.  I had switched from H&R Block last year to TurboTax this year, but never again.  Having a known problem and refusing to fix it is unacceptable.  I get "updates" almost everyday when I open TurboTax, so why not fix this problem that is hurting so many users?

Al46
Level 1

I have the same error for the same condition (wife died 2019, filing jointly).  

Since I now have to mail in both my Federal and State Returns, do I get refunded my $25.24 that I paid to efile my state return?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service

SheriK
Returning Member

Wow, this is super frustrating. I have spent 3 days trying to get my joint return filed and have been getting the same error message using Turbo Tax.  My husband passed away last year so it appears that this is the problem.  What is really frustrating is that I clicked on all of the Turbo Tax information that is supposed to tell you the common reasons that your e-filing is rejected based on an incorrect AGI.  None of those ever said that it could be (or is) because the spouse is deceased.  I only found this thread by googling the issue.  It seems as if Turbot Tax has now known about this for months and hasn't even bothered to put this as an informative statement.  I wouldn't have wasted all this time trying to get tax transcripts, etc.  I do not want to paper file for a number of reasons, including the difficulty I have in getting to a post office right now.  Not happy.

Yes there is a statement about this:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/customer-s-are-being-rejected-ind-032-04-for-spous...

Incorrect error: Customers are being rejected (IND-032-04) for spouse AGI when the spouse has passed away

Some TurboTax customers have reported that they're being rejected (IND-032-04) for spouse's AGI being incorrect when their spouse passed away in 2019.

First, make sure the AGI entered in your 2019 tax return matches your AGI on your 2018 tax return here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/00/25947

If the AGI is correct and you're still being rejected, you can sign up to receive email notifications when any updates related to this issue are available.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Al46
Level 1

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.  I lost my wife last year as well, so I have the same frustration.  It's hard enough to go through what we went through without these software bugs.  What is even worse is that I was on the line with the help desk for about an hour.  The lady I spoke to was very pleasant, but had no clue about this bug in their system.  She had me changing the AGI from last year's joint AGI to zero, and then back again.  

This is not an unknown condition, the help desk should be aware of this and immediately refund our state tax expense as well as the entire TurboTax cost since we are unable to use it like we expected.

In 2020, especially, we will now be impacted on the CoronoVirus stimulus check because they will be using the 2018 tax return to calculate the check. 

@Al46 See my post above yours.  Click on the "sign up" link to get an email when it is fixed.

Al46
Level 1

FYI.  The customer support lady I spoke to did not know about this condition.  She looked it up, and it was not evident that it was not solvable.  We spent about an hour on the phone trying to solve it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies