turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reinstall state I purchased last year

Last year when I did my taxes I purchased 2016 DE state.  I had to buy a new computer but I transferred files to the new computer.  When I try to open last years taxes it wants me to purchase DE again.  How can I download the software I already bought so I can look at last year's tax file

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

If you purchased a downloadable product through TurboTax.com, you can download it for up to 3 years after purchase.

See the instructions below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302070

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Patricia-  The question was about the Delaware state return, not the Turbo Tax program.  I have the same issue on a partnership return, TT Business, and CA.  I completed the 1065 return, with the CA state return on it, everything saved fine, then my Windows program crashed.  I reinstalled Windows, and reinstalled TT Business.  But it won't allow me to load the completed return, say if I need to amend it.  It gives me an error 190, about an issue with the State return...I think this is where TT is trying to get me to buy another State, but that isn't even possible!
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

@BruceFal For this issue, I recommend you contact a technical support agent here: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/</a>

Actually, there is a simple answer that I stumbled upon just before I spoke to TS.  My issue was that Windows crashed and I had to make a complete new reinstall of Windows, so Turbo Tax fell off also as it had links to the old Windows 10 and also had to be a complete reinstall.  I had filed my TT returns for 2017 (I am speaking Business Partnership Return here), but wanted to be able to access TT in case I needed to make an amended return.  Based on some other answers, as opposed to starting TT and opening my filed return (which TT would not let me do, I received an error code 190, something about a State issue and wanted to be paid), so I started a new partnership return for company ABC and filled it in with some junk.  I then saved it, and closed out of TT.  That was key.  Then I went and restarted TT, and low and behold I received a message that there were CA updates!  I installed the updates, and then was able to open my previously filed Partnership return.

This fix may also apply to individual returns in the event Windows crashes and a reinstall of it is required.  TT does have numerous updates that were holding up the use of it.

Your links on this chat are no longer available.  I need to re-download my States on my new computer.  I get error 190.  I tried what Bruce suggested, but it did not work.  I need help!

@bpeeps37 

Here's the new link to the Customer Support FAQ to get a Telephone number to call:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks for the tips. This worked perfectly for me. Instead of creating a new ABC co., i opened my 2017 file, imported into 2018 which did the magic of getting the State download. Now I closed TT, opened the right 2018 file from last year and voila the State is there.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You also have this option.

This link will allow you to download TurboTax products you have previously paid for at no additional cost. How do I download the software I purchased at TurboTax.com?

So looks like this works for only one state. I just tried this on my personal 2018 Premier and i have 2 states of which one state is free and the other is I paid. It shows up the paid state on the right column to download without any charge. But the free state is not loading. Very weird

Ah this site is good. This shows the 2nd State i purchased. What about the first State that is free with 2018 Premier? Its not downloading that

I'm still getting error 190 for that First state which is FREE with Premier 2018. What to do now? I'm stuck.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you are still having issues getting the second state to show, please contact customer support by clicking here

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies