Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Asking for activation code again

I purchased a TT 2019 license from Costco and started my taxes back in early Feb.  As normal, everytime I open TT, it checks for the latest updates.  I just updated as tax submission date has changed.  Now after the updates, I cannot access the application as it's asking for the activation code.  I now longer have the code as I tossed it in the trash after installing it on my laptop.  How do I get past this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

See the link below for troubleshooting this problem:

TurboTax requests license activation at every launch

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi,

I've tried all 4 methods today, after applying updates and it's still asking for my activation code.  I'm stuck.  Please help.

eric

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Sometimes it's best to talk to someone.

The most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below.

We're open daily from 5 AM to 9 PM PT.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax mobile app

TurboTax CD/Download software

Super frustrating!!!!

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If the link below does not help, please contact Support.

TurboTax requests license activation at every launch

Reloder

Yeah, the software updater is worthless, and asking for a license code on last year's software is a great way to ensure people don't buy this lousy product this year.  I am going to complain to Costco.com, they at least care about their customers.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@Reloder Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support for one-on-one assistance with troubleshooting the issue you are experiencing with the software update.

I'm locked out as well. This is absolute garbage!!! Every other update it does this to me. It's not every launch, so that topic is useless. It asks me after some, but not all updates. My guess it's a tool against PIRACY, which I support. But don't screw over the people who bought the thing. I have boxes from 2002 until current. I think it's time I look elsewhere. This is garbage.

Yea, yea, yea, I know... CONTACT US. Fill out a giant form, wait on hold, talk to someone to be "blessed" and hopefully get someone that can help. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have to call daddy to use software that I've purchased. Actually, maybe I'll pirate it next year. Already being treated like a criminal!!!

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@FU-IN-thebutt-TUIT  If you have already tried the troubleshooting steps in the TurboTax FAQ below, then please reach out to our TurboTax Customer Care Team for assistance.

TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2020 requests license activation at every launch

The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below. Use the web form and type your question or a keyword.  You will get an appropriate phone number for your issue. (You will not get a phone number if you use the link outside of operating hours.) We're open daily from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PT.

I just read another thread where 2 people said when they took a thumb drive out of their laptop, there was no repeat activation screen  Sure enough, I had a thumb drive in and when I removed it I got past the problematic  activation.  This did not work on my desktop however, but worth a try for a laptop.

I already filed with TurboTax Premier 2019.  The last time I opened it was July 2020.  Fast forward March 2021, I'm trying to open it again to take a look at some stuff on the same computer, it made me update the software so I did.  After that I'm prompted with the dreaded activation prompt.  I did swap the motherboard while keeping all the same components.  Someone please tell me changing components doesn't trigger another activation code prompt.  I just bought TurboTax Premier 2020 and activated it.  I also just bought a new CPU I want to put in now, but now I'm scared to do it thinking it might make me activate TurboTax again.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@mchu519 Please contact customer support here for further assistance so that we can take a look at what is going on to better assist you.

Make sure you have the exact same external drives plugged in as when you activated TurboTax.  I've found that unless I have my three desktop drives plugged in, TurboTax will ask for activation.  Others have to make sure their drives are not plugged in.  The activation process apparently uses external drives as part of establishing the signature to verify that its the same computer that was activated.  Bad design.  This means I can only use TurboTax on my laptop when I'm at my desk at home, three large drives with their power supplies and the port replicator they connect thru are not very portable.

bskinn
Returning Member

None of these methods works for me either.  This happened with 2019 and now with 2020

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies