turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are others having issues with the Form 1040-ES voucher payments? We submit the payment slips generated by turbotax, the IRS is getting the funds, but not applying them...

IRS is threatening to garnish wages b/c they are not able to properly process the turbotax generated  voucher payments, most likely due to an error by turbotax.   Turbotax doesn't happen to be open 24/7 as indicated when paying up for the premium service.  I may be looking elsewhere in the future due to the annoyance of this glitch.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Are others having issues with the Form 1040-ES voucher payments? We submit the payment slips generated by turbotax, the IRS is getting the funds, but not applying them...

The 1040ES slips are NOT for your current tax due.   They are estimated payments for Next year so you don't end up owing too much again.  Your tax due is only on 1 voucher the 1040-V.  Sorry you still owe the current tax due.

Oh, and don't forget to enter them into next year to get credit for them.

If you have taxes owed for the current tax year, 2020, then use the IRS payment website and Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

Seems a little early for the IRS to talk about garnishing your wages.  Is this for a prior year?   What year did you send in the estimated payments?   Like this year?  Those will be prepayments for your 2021 return next year.

Or are you saying you sent them in during 2020 last year (not in 2021) to apply to your 2020 return?   What year do they say at the top?  Do they say 2021 Estimated Tax or another year?

Always make payments to the IRS directly on their website so you have instant confirmation that they’ve been paid and posted to your account. If you made a payment and they are not posting it correctly all you have to do is send proof of payment back with the notice that they sent you and or call the number on the notice to discuss the missed payment.

If you do mail in payments with any vouchers then the information must be put on the check as well so in case the check gets separated from the voucher at the IRS your name and Social Security number and the reason for the payment are clearly posted on the check in the memo section so I can correctly be posted to your account properly.

Carl
Level 15

When it comes to paying the IRS for both your current tax filing year for taxes due (which would be 2020 taxes as of the date of my response) and your estimated tax payments for tax year 2021, I always pay the IRS directly at www.irs.gov/payments and print my receipt. That way, I have proof.

There are three rules to remember when dealing with the IRS.

1) You are guilty until proven innocent.

2) The burden of proof is on the accused (that would be you!) and not the accuser.

3) If it's not in writing, then it did not occur.

Always write the tax year on your check along with your SSN.

This would override the incorrect voucher. and your tax would have been paid.

At least, in New Jersey that's what happened for me

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies