Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Am I eligible for stimulus package check from IRS?

I worked since 2018, am a college student, my parents claim me as a dependent but did not receive a stimulus check with me added to it. They only got money for my 2 younger sibling. Not sure why I don't qualify. 

@megancharest0828 wrote:

I worked since 2018, am a college student, my parents claim me as a dependent but did not receive a stimulus check with me added to it. They only got money for my 2 younger sibling. Not sure why I don't qualify. 

If you are age 17 or older in 2019 then your parent's do not receive a stimulus payment for you.

dicks2477

I havent got my check. I did my taxes and nothing yet,,,,,please help me

@dicks2477

The IRS can look at your 2018 or 2019 return to issue a stimulus check.  If they do not have a 2018 return then you may be waiting for them to finish processing 2019 before they will be able to use it to issue your stimulus check.

If you used the non-filer site, you will not be able to e-file a 2019 return after using the non-filer site.

TurboTax has no control over your stimulus check, nor can TT track it for you or tell you when the IRS will issue it. Refer to the sites linked below:

You can call the IRS hotline at 1-800-919-9835 to get updates on your stimulus payment.  

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#nonfilertool

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
sdm

my stimulus was almost deposited in my bank account, then it was taken out due to my husband and back child support. His stimulus was sent to his child support and my stimulus is on hold @ IRS. I called IRS and was told that even though i filed injured spouse on my 2019 taxes, I needed to filed an injured spouse on my stimulus. I faxed my stimulus and injured spouse on 5/21/2020 and i have had no response. 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

The IRS was closed for return processing for some time to focus on the economic stimulus payments. They have resumed normal operations and are now processing returns and paper submissions. You will have to be patient as the IRS works on getting caught up.

Per IRS FAQ 36:

The Payment may have been offset only by past-due child support. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice if an offset occurs.

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return), half of the total Payment will be sent to each spouse and your spouse’s Payment will be offset only for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim for the Payment.

The IRS is aware that in some instances a portion of the payment sent to a spouse who filed an injured spouse claim with his or her 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if no 2019 tax return has been filed) has been offset by the non-injured spouse’s past-due child support. The IRS is working with the Bureau of Fiscal Service and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement, to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. If you filed an injured spouse claim with your return and are impacted by this issue, you do not need to take any action. The injured spouse will receive their unpaid half of the total payment when the issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Economic Impact Payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Nate4500

Re: Am I eligible for stimulus package check from IRS?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

@Nate4500

If you have filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019, you will automatically receive a stimulus check (or direct deposit if you have provided your bank information to the IRS on a tax return) if your AGI is $75,000 or less ($150,000 if married filing jointly). The amount of the stimulus will decrease until your AGI reaches $99,000 ($198,000 if married filing jointly)

Please read this IRS Q&A page for more information.

If you receive Social security benefits and are not required to file a tax return, you do not need to do anything. The IRS will direct deposit your stimulus payment into the account receiving your benefits.

If you are not required to file a tax return for 2019 because you have no income or your income is below the filing thresholds, you can register for the stimulus payment on this IRS web portal.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

You can use the following link to determine how much your stimulus payment should have been, if anything, based upon your personal situation.

Stimulus check calculator

If you filed a tax return in 2018 or 2019, the payment of the stimulus funds can be tracked at the following website:

Check status of economic payment

Please see the following for facts related to the payments as processed by the IRS.   

FAQ for Economic payments

My name is Mildred Scott

@Sherrayne3 Posting your name on a public website is not a good idea.  Further....we do not know why you posted your name here.  No one has access to your account or your tax return, or your tax refund status.  What are you trying to do?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
KATHYB43056
Returning Member

i did not get  a stimuless check   my spouse did he got his on his va disability card, but i did not get a check

KATHYB43056
Returning Member

wil i be getting a stimulus check?

@KATHYB43056

The IRS can look at your 2018 or 2019 return to issue a stimulus check.  If they do not have a 2018 return then you may be waiting for them to finish processing 2019 before they will be able to use it to issue your stimulus check.

If you used the non-filer site, you will not be able to e-file a 2019 return after using the non-filer site.

TurboTax has no control over your stimulus check, nor can TT track it for you or tell you when the IRS will issue it. Refer to the sites linked below:

You can call the IRS hotline at 1-800-919-9835 to get updates on your stimulus payment.  

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#nonfilertool

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

Those with debt such as back child support will not receive the stimulus check. My husband (unfortunately) owes back cs from a PREVIOUS relationship and because we file jointly, neither of us received the check. I am on Social Security Disability and I have NOTHING to do with his previous debt. We have been impacted by this pandemic just as much as others but aren't able to get any help because of this. How is this fair? I've done a lot of research trying to figure out who I can contact to see if there is anything that can be done about this and I can't find any answers. My portion of the stimulus should have still came to me. The stimulus was given to help those in need due to the pandemic. How is it helping when it's being treated like a garnishment? I don't get it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies