Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kboward

AGI error

In filing the return electronically, it asks what is husband's AGI is (which auto populates).  Then,  it asks what the spouses AGI is (which also auto populates as the same number).  The return errored out for wrong AGI. The return is a joint return so there is only 1 AGI (separate AGI for husband vs spouse does not make sense). HELP!!  Same thing happened last year and I had to paper file.  If this happens again, I will be DONE with Turbotax!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

AGI error

There is a possibility that the IRS does not have your 2020 AGI in their database.

Enter a 0 (zero) for the 2020 AGI for both of you and e-file the 2021 tax return again.

kboward

AGI error

i certainly can try that but I went to the IRS website and pulled a transcript of my 2020 return and it indicates the AGI that turbo tax auto-populates with. so, my question is - what is the answer they are looking for?  Are they looking for the Joint AGI to be indicated as "husband's AGI" and the "wife's AGI" or should it be the full amount for the husband and $0 for the wife or...  

AGI error

@kboward wrote:

i certainly can try that but I went to the IRS website and pulled a transcript of my 2020 return and it indicates the AGI that turbo tax auto-populates with. so, my question is - what is the answer they are looking for?  Are they looking for the Joint AGI to be indicated as "husband's AGI" and the "wife's AGI" or should it be the full amount for the husband and $0 for the wife or...  

If you filed the 2020 tax return with a filing status of Married Filing Jointly then the 2020 AGI from the Form 1040 Line 11 is the same for the both of you.

If the IRS did not process the 2020 until late in 2021 or due to the the many issues at the IRS on account of the Coronavirus in 2020 and 2021 there is a good possibility that the the 2020 AGI is not in the their database, even if the IRS transcript shows the AGI amount. 

So if the IRS continues to reject your tax return based on the correct 2020 AGI there is no harm in using a 0 for the 2020 AGI for each of you when e-filing the 2021 tax return.  This has worked for hundreds of other users.  Only a few were rejected and in those cases the 2021 tax return can only be printed and mailed.

Aelaich
Returning Member

AGI error

IRS continues to reject my 2021 E filing saying my AGI from 2020 is incorrect ( which it isn’t by the way) I requested. the transcript for 2020 from IRS DATABASE SHOWING THAT the AGI I Am using is correct. Had to eventually file a paper return 4 months ago and still waiting on my refund. So annoying that after at least 15 years of TurboTax I will probably not use it next year. 😫 Has anyone else had this issue ?

AGI error

@Aelaich wrote:

IRS continues to reject my 2021 E filing saying my AGI from 2020 is incorrect ( which it isn’t by the way) I requested. the transcript for 2020 from IRS DATABASE SHOWING THAT the AGI I Am using is correct. Had to eventually file a paper return 4 months ago and still waiting on my refund. So annoying that after at least 15 years of TurboTax I will probably not use it next year. 😫 Has anyone else had this issue ?

If the IRS has a problem with their database, you would probably get rejected at any other software provider.  The IRS database for e-file validation is not directly connected to your other IRS account--they have many different computer systems that don't talk to each other effectively--and it is certainly possible that the e-file validation database was not updated with your 2020 information in time for you to file your 2021 return.  Even the IRS says to try 0 (zero) if your AGI doesn't work.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/electronic-filing-pin-request

Remember that the first time you e-filed, you had the opportunity to pick a PIN.  That self-selected PIN should always work, even if your AGI does not, assuming you know what it was.  

AGI error

If you mailed 2020 the AGI didn't get entered into the right IRS database in time.  Entering 0 would have probably worked.  It has worked for most people.   The forum is full of people asking about rejected AGI.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies