Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

After each update Tubotax Application keeps asking for License code to be activated

Please visit the TurboTax Help article below for information on how to resolve this experience.

TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2020 requests license a...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After each update Tubotax Application keeps asking for License code to be activated

Corrections sent to me do not work.  They check for updates and then restart asking for the activation code that says all activations are used up.  I need the activations reset to zero

dm2
Level 3

Are you opening your application or going to C:/Documents/Turbotax/your return and opening that?

My solution only works if you open the return and NOT the application.

You can call Turbotax support number, they are the only ones who can resolve your five attempted used licenses that is if they answer and if they answer talk to someone who actually can understand their accent

When I have called and do not understand what they say because of their accent I tell them to transfer me to US though most just disconnect and I have to call again and again.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please see the following link if you are trying to get the licensing code.

Licensing code for software

If you are still having issues after reviewing the link above, there is also a link included in that site above you can use under the Error codes section to contact us for additional support.

@Jthiggin11

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dm2
Level 3

Really!!!!?? this is your answer that one is entering the code wrong. Have you even read what customers are complaining about, do you really understand what we are saying!!!????

I am having the same problem. I have TurboTax 2018, 2019 and 2020 all on the same computer. And none of them are loaded on any other computer, even though licensed to be.

I have completed and filed tax returns in each of those years' Turbo Tax systems on my computer. 

I was working on an amended return from 2019, though, and when I went to launch the program again after exiting it days ago, it said to click the link to update, which I did.

After it finished updating it asked for my activation code and won't let me passed that screen.

I entered the activation code more than a year ago and have never had problem accessing it until now. But I can't find the activation code anywhere now.

When I paid for the software it had no expiration date and no warning that once activated it would require me to locate and reenter the activation code if I ever needed to file an amended return in the future.

And I frankly have never had this issue come up with ANY software I have ever purchased in my life, including tax software, and including tax software from H&R Block or from TurboTax.  Is this the penalty for being dumb enough to be continuing customers and buying TurboTax's 2020 tax software is that we are now locked out of the 2019 TurboTax software that thinks we've got more than one software program and are somehow trying to circumvent licensing agreements or something???

Why can't I just launch the 2019 software that I paid for, loaded on my computer, already entered the activation code for and have used to file returns already that I'm just trying to relaunch?

And why does TurboTax want me to purchase other company's software instead in the future, apparently?

Any help would be appreciated. There is no way I am repurchasing Turbo Tax just to get a new activation code for the thing I already purchased!!!

The Activation License Code was new starting last year for 2019 returns.  Make sure your computer is the same way when you originally installed it. Like with no flash drives plugged in or plugged in if one was. Even a printer plugged in or not. It asked me again so I just closed the program and took out a flash drive that was plugged in and tried again. It worked.

Asks for Activation at every launch
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-2019-requests-license-activation-at-every...

Or you will have to call support and get a new code.

Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time
7 days a week
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

@collinstax3 

Sorry this isn't a solution ... but I am 100% in the same boat as what you described. (in case they think this is just a one-off problem). I have TT installed on desktop and laptop and exact same issue exists (after applying their ill-advised update).

It's as if the powers that be at Turbotax want you to explore other software suppliers.

chpowers

My 2020 Turbo Tax Premier is asking for authorization code.  When entered error message states all available activations for that code have been used. I attempted the 'back way' to open the file and it wants me to enter activation code.  Why is this happening and how do I obtain access to my file?

tdbui

Can you share the solution?

llewb55
Returning Member

ive bought 4 turbo tax home and buisnes for 99.00 each just to get the code off it that wrong  how do you fix the problem  [email address removed]

These recommendations from Intuit are just waste of time. None   of the methods has anything to do with the issue. The issue is in Turbo Tax application. The easiest way to solve this is perhaps by patching (IE: plugging NOOP hex opcode) in some area of the application of the turbo tax executable to bypass this asking for the license code portion and just directly branch to start filing the tax.

Same issue for TT2021 H&B.  HELP!

@mhymowitz 

This is cropping up again this year, but the solution may be different.

Please call customer support to get the problem logged again as a critical issue that is occurring and needs fixing.......and TTX will actually know they have a critical issue to deal with ASAP

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

Another thing you should do is to go up into the top-screen menu, and in you update options, turn them off entirely.    You can always manually trigger an update in a few weeks, after they fix the problem (one hopes).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies